32 miles to the gallon on a Xantia 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday
My Cars:

32 miles to the gallon on a Xantia 1.9td

Post by crapday »

I have just worked out that I get 32.5 miles to the gallon on my 1.9TD Xantia. 142000 miles on the clock. [:(!]
Think I'll start using SVO. [:D]
I found out that I have a Bocsh fuel pump so SVO should be ok. I've had a look in the archives and think 80/20 in the winter going to 50/50 in the summer sounds about right.
Has anyone found away of stopping the car smell like a chippy, I don't want to be driving around hungry all the time. (ah deep fried mars bar [;)] ).
So all you SVOers come on and give me some good advise.
THANKS.
[:D][:D][:D]
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

I'd get your car sorted first, before doing things like that.
Usual suspects:
Air Filter
Fuel Filter
Oil & Filter Change.
Binding Brakes
Fuel Leak ( check injector leak-off pipes )
Aircon always on ?
Roof Rack ?
Mother-in-law in the boot ?
SVO will be fine. Some smell more than others.
Of course, you must declare it all to C&E.
I've not been tempted to try it too much in the AX, since I get 65+ mpg anyway !!!
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

Done Air Filter
Done Fuel Filter
Done Oil & Filter Change.
No Binding Brakes
Not that I can see Fuel Leak ( check injector leak-off pipes ) replaced these last year (all 4 and the end one).
Not got it Aircon always on ?
Not fitted Roof Rack ?
No chance Mother-in-law in the boot ?
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

could the injector seals be done in, Just checked the leak off tubes again, they seem to be ok but the recess at 2,3,4 seem to have a fluid in them. 3 is the worst. Can't see any bubbling to indicate that there is any diesel coming out. The ends of the wee leak off tubes is dry, last time you could see diesel squirting out. Starting the car is no trouble at all, no matter how cold it is it starts first turn, indicating that no air is getting into the fuel lines.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I agree that 32 seems excessive - but i've just worked out the consumption for my BX TD at 36.25. This tank has lasted about 8 weeks (405 miles) - half used on 5 mile runs and the rest 15 mile motorway runs - with a leaden foot.
This car has done 52 mpg and regularily returns nearly 50 on long runs.
Have you had a look at the tank? - had a vent pipe on the top of our ZX one go. Tank will be wet if you have this problem.
jeremy
KevMayer
My Cars:

Post by KevMayer »

Is it a Xantia TD with an ECU and Cat etc. If so, how does it go.
If its sluggish it could be a timing problem. My throttle pos sensor is duff. I tried moving it today and I got a dramatic imrovement in pick up. Timing is critical to performance and economy. If your ECU and sensors aren't sending the right timing to the pump then you won't have optimum performance.
I have tested my throttle sensor with a multimeter. I know its duff. but a new one costs over 200 quid. I keep playing.
By the way, I get just over 36 to the gallon. 8 miles per litre.
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

no cat on this one. where is the throttle pos sensor and how do you move it.
nridley
My Cars:

Post by nridley »

I have had a similar issue where my Xantia hasn't been performing mpg wise like it used to. It coincided with me putting four new tyres on it and these weren't decent Michelin's or Pirelli's - they are budget type ones. Think the rubber is a lot softer and hence more friction on road adding to the poor fuel performance. Since I still get 440 miles to a tank of diesel I wasn't worrying too much, especially as it is winter. At least your Xantia stops....(see today's forum 'Xantia brake failure').
simonelsey
My Cars:

Post by simonelsey »

I have noticed a job if consumpution on my hdi xsara , Seems to happen every time when it gets cold ,seems ok in summer get plenty MPG .