BX w/wiper prob.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikeg
My Cars:

BX w/wiper prob.

Post by mikeg »

The wipers wil not return to the park position when switched off, nor does the intermittent selection work. It's ok on normal and fast speeds and the washers work when using norm/fast but not when using wash/wipe. I'm not too well up on electrics, so can somebody advise, please? Thanks.
tonespeed1999
My Cars:

Post by tonespeed1999 »

sounds like the parking device inside the wiper motor is faulty.a new or second hand motor will cure it
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like a faulty switch to me. Worth checking that the various plugs are fitted properly first as I've never seen anyone complain that the switch had gone wrong before.
My reasons are that the wiper motor and the washer motor are entirely separate components, both of which are working satisfactorily in most respects, with some functions not working. The switch is the common component.
jeremy
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

You could probably find a donor switch in a scrapyard, despite the current trend to convert scrap BXs rapidly into cubes of metal to be shipped straight to China. There may be a relay involved along the way too, but I've not got a manual handy to check.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

It could possibly be the park wiper contact inside the motor as tonespeed mentioned.
If you remove the complete motor and mounting bracket assembly. Remove the gearbox/drive cover, underneath the main gear, you should find three ?? brass finger contacts. Slow speed, high speed and park. If you clean the circular contact strips and slightly raise fingers to make better contact. Park contact may be burnt at fixing point and quite delicate when raised.
Peter
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

My BX had exactly the same problem. A secondhand relay solved it.
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

I've never seen anyone complain that the switch had gone wrong before.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I swapped three different stalks on mine to resolve a problem where the washers wouldnt work, then i had a revelation one day and pushed the conection at the washer bottl a little harder and they have worked ever since!
So there you go Jeremy, you still hevent ever heard of a problem with the washer stalk on the bx! [:D]
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Where is the relay situated, Ian? I've made sure that all plugs are in, as per Jeremy. The relay might be the next task before I look at the motor.
Thanks all.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

The relay is under the passenger footwell.
Think it was the biggest of all the relays in there. Will go and look at my BX now to confirm
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Pretty sure its the big blue relay under passengers footwell.
mikeg
My Cars:

Post by mikeg »

Hi folks, wiper problem sorted thanks to Jon Wood & Dave Bamber. It tuned out to be the big blue relay as suggested by Ian Fearn. Thanks Ian. Jon supplied the relay and Dave stuck it in for me, so to speak.
Thanks very much to all who contributed.
Mike
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Pleasure mate, nice to meet you!