overfueling problem please help

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

born2die
My Cars:

overfueling problem please help

Post by born2die »

I have just had the ecu and keypad put back in the car after the recent immobiliser problems and now my xantia is overfueling in a fairly big way (well according to the ever unhelpful rac). It goes somthing like this you go to stop at a junction the car dies rev needle bounces around occasionally at idle, it backfires and when you go to apply gas from a standstill the poor xant occasionally dies, there is also the small matter of if you are driving and put your foot down there will be nothing for a second then a splutter and then off it goes kangarooing down the road the turbo seems to have lost some punch too. the car was alright before but after a week standing it seems to have gone t*ts up.
anybody ouit there got any tips on this one I have tried wd40 on the ecu connector with no luck and from the top of the engine I cant see any hoses off?
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

I have just been poking round by the ecu on the driverside by the side of the water reservoir and have noticed a pipe coming off the ecu without a clip on it the clip is hanging on the pipe I have tried doing the clip up but just cant.
is this pipe somthing to do with the air flow system and could this have any bearing on the overfueling of the xant
thanks in advance
tris
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

just noticed temp guage is now saying 70-80 degrees approx wheras befor it was 80-90 degrees approx based on a 10 mile commute urban and a roads could this have any bearing?
naxia
My Cars:

Post by naxia »

it sounds similar to a problem that a friend of mine had with his 2.1 dzl Pug, which is the same njn as used in the cit, is this the one you have?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

temperature may well be relevant. The question is has the thermostat failed or is the gauge reading incorrectly. If the thermostat has failed the fuel injection system will treat the engine as cold and in effect keep the choke out. While this would normally be a transient phase as the car warms up its now prolonged.
You may be able to tell by starting the car from cold and feeling the thermostat housing and the top hose. The hose should of course remain cool until the engine reaches operating temperature.
Sounds a bit extreme however - especially as some people 'tune' fuel injection by playing with the temperature sensor to fool the system into running rich.
jeremy
born2die
My Cars:

Post by born2die »

thanks for the replys I will try a new thermostat and see what that does.