Xantia lowering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mpr1956
My Cars:

Xantia lowering

Post by mpr1956 »

I remember a fair while ago on the old BX diy site, a few owners lowered the ride height of their cars an inch or two by filing a new notch in the lever gate.... Does this go on with any xantia owners, or is it possible? I mention this after chatting to a young tradesman recently who borrowed his dad's Xant from time to time and drove it around locally at minimum height ( Ouch) as a "low rider" to impress his friends ( Wouldn't think it would impress his dad!!)
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Better to rotate the ride height links clamped to the roll bars, this works for bx , search the forum for the info.
Stewart
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

I can see that would work as a "permanent" lowering, but the idea of the BX mod was to conveniently adjust the height of the car temporarily for cruising, if that's the right word. I don't know if the Xantia would look so good lowered as the BX anyway, and I'm sure a few people must have scraped their undersides driving about like that.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Dropping cars at speed is quite popular and I think C5 does it automatically. First 2 Range Rover air suspension systems are supposed to do the same when they work (Classic and next one - don't know about current one).
Theory is that you don't need full suspension travel on motorways and so drag is reduced and stability increased by simply dropping the car an inch or 2.
Not the same as Croosin I know but it does suggest the things are safe. I think the real thing is that if yiou are going to drop it so far that it looks good then there probably isn't enough suspension travel for safety. I know from experience that the ride comfort decreases considerably if the car doesn't attain the proper height.
Jeremy
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Further to my last post, on the BX you need to fit smaller volume spheres in conjunction with lowering to reduce overall suspension travel otherwise you will spend a lot of time bounding along on the bump stops.
Stewart