Xantia 2.0HDi OR XM 2.5TD ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Thunderbird

Xantia 2.0HDi OR XM 2.5TD ?

Post by Thunderbird »

Both cars year 2000. Both 50Kmiles. Both manual and full extras.
Price of XM is 18.000Eur; Xantia costs 13.000Eur.
Which one would you choose?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Heart, XM[B)]
Head, Xantia[}:)]
Had a similiar choice recently, mine was Pug 405 or BX. Head was 405, heart was a BX. I think you can see the answer!
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Here we go again, Thunderbird. You'll spend less buying the Xantia and it will hold its money better than an XM. 13000 Euros though! Are cars expensive in
Portugal then? If they are, then the skills infrastructure will be pretty thin for Citroens so buy a Ford instead.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Try one and then the other.
The XM is a classy car.
The TD unit at least has some years in active, and not much electronic involved, so...
In the end it depends on how long you want to keep the car.
I'd go for the XM, still.
Tudo de bom!
Mosser
My Cars:

Post by Mosser »

XM = 40mpg and supreme comfort, i can drive from london to edinburgh without stopping and not feel tired at the other end
Xantia HDI, 50+mpg?, nice car, sensible choice if funds are limited as they are cheap to run but comfortable to drive
Overall, if it was my choice and i could afford the extra, if would definatly be the XM
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,
I must be lucky I have a Xantia 110 HDI estate and my dad has an Xm 2.5td and can say that the Xm is smoother has more bottom torque but mpg is about 10mpg down still a great car though.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Well guys, things are this way around here:
[base price + engine size tax(ccm x €€)] x VAT (19%) = final price
We not only have one of the lowest salaries in europe, but are too the ones who pay most.
And yes, cars AREN'T cheap.
When i hear you talking: "hey i found a bx, generally good for [say] £150. is it pricey?"
Well, my chin gets to the ground... you call THAT pricey?! That's some 250 euro-bucks! For this price i'm lucky to find a rusty car that is barely able not to fall apart just by opening it's doors!
Now, i'm not surprised we sometimes seem to be the 3rd world country of Europe...[;)]
Cheers!
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

The XM will stay screwed together better than the Xant. Thats an aweful lot of money though, have you thought of buying one in Germany? they are a lot cheeper (and more plentiful) see following links . .
http://www.mobile.de/SIDGhAxFC0OwbpCkaB ... earch.y=10
http://www.autoscout24.de/home/index/li ... he+starten
//NiSk
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Hmmm, the 2.5 is a beast better over 160kph but the HDI is newer and more frugal, head says HDI heart says XM.
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Have to admit the head does say Xant HDi - though remember we still have not seen any 10 or 15 year old HDi units yet, wheras the XU engine is well proven.
Mind you, if it was me I would probably go with my heart and get the XM - though beware dodgy electrics and so on.
A word of caution, my last "heart" purchase is still haemorraging cash from my wallet.
tonyg
My Cars:

Post by tonyg »

Hi
It must be the XM. Although I'm biased since I've just picked up my "new XM" today. 2000-Wreg 24V. Black with Black leather - lovely. Get the XM and enjoy it.
Tony
XM V624v W-reg,
Peugeot 306 Xsi
Rover 75 cdti - Ahhh! company car
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Thanks for all the answers!
It's a tough decision.
Like Francisco (406 V6) mentioned, cars in Portugal are f***ing expensive.
Just for curiosity, I leave here the performance of both cars after ECU upgrade:
Xantia 2.0HDi - 136hp - 293NM - 126mph - 55mpg (56mph) - 34mpg (city)
XM 2.5TDI - 154hp - 315NM - 131mph - 48mpg (56mph) - 28mph (city)
madasafish

Post by madasafish »

I would not touch an XM. Why? Becuase when you try to park in car parks it's about 1 metre too long, you can't see the ends of the bumpers and almost every XM I have seen has scratched bumpers to prove it..
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Nonsense!
The XM is no longer than any equivalent large luxury saloon: Audi 100/A6, Ford Granada/Scorpio, Vauxhall Omega, BMW 500 series, Volvo 850/V70 etc, etc.
The Break on the other hand IS pretty big both internally and externally - but I wouldn't change it for anything else. There's no other estate that gives such a good ride and swallows so much stuff without it effecting the handling.
//NiSk