Emergency Xantia

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Emergency Xantia

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Hi Guys,
After a no-good young boy racer kindly wrote off my old L reg SX Xantia (160K) I have had to find an emergency replacement Xantia to get me to work.
I have ended up being forced into getting a rather ropey xantia-just to get me into work! On the upside-it has a super strong engine-one of the most powerful I have driven.
Down side - The dashboard lights do not come on when the lights are switched on. I have been through haynes manual and there is not mention. Could this simply be the dimmer control needing to be replaced. Its a bit unerving driving at night.
Also the rear suspension is slow to raise
And there is a rumble in nuetral (input shafts) is this terminal? Again haynes manual does not cover this area very well.
Any suggestions gratefully received!-Looks like a trip to the breakers is on the cards!
Regards
BY
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

For the dash lights, check to see whether the dimmer switch is attached, if not then the lights will not illuminate.
The slow raising rear end may be due to the hydraulic system requiring a clean with Hydraflush.
With gearbox problems its always worth trying the cheap/easy option of draining the oil and replacing with new, if that doesn't sort it then generally replacement is the only option. Generally the gearboxes last quite well, so going through a rebuild is uneccessary as second hand ones are cheap and plentiful.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Largely i agree with Richard - but dash lights should come on with ignition not sidelamps and the bulbs have probably burnt out and need to be replaced.
Rear suspension - have you got anti-sink on this car? (twin outlet pump and extra spheres are give away - 94/95 onwards)
jeremy
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

ON my Xantia (97 'R' reg) the dash lights definitely only come on with the sidelights. On the otherhand a BX's dash lights come on with the ignition. What about the lights on the heater/radio - do these follow any logic, or work at all? I'd be surprised if every dash light has gone.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

Richard/Jeremy,
Thanks for the feedback. The radio lights, and window switches all illuminate. I bought the car yesterday afternoon-and by the time I got it home it was dark and a blizzard outside-so no chance to do any basics.
So the dimmer switch is the suspect-hopefully the breakers will have one if its knackered.
The car is set for a going over on saturday-not heard of hydraflush before-but will aim to do that over the next seven days. I'm hoping a lot of these things will be able to be resolved
As an aside-the power steering also goes stiff straight after ignition.
Gearbox- I will flush out-but if 'feels' more mecahnical then that. No vibration in any gear past 2K revs.
Thanks for the feedback-this is a great site. I know a lot of people post up with the same type of questions-but its a great feeling to know that there are those out there with experience whom you can turn to for a 'second opinion' or a bit of moral support!
BY
Cheers guys[:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Blizzard? in the Bahamas[8D]? Are you being a little geographically challenged about your location????
The gearbox probably has some wear on the input shaft,does the noise go away when you push the clutch? It will probably still outlast the car-my BX has been like that for at least the last 35000 miles, and I had a Marina that went to the grave like it.
Blagarse Yank
My Cars:

Post by Blagarse Yank »

bxbodger,
Yes-as soon as the clutch is depressed it goes away! thats it exactly. Sounds like my xantia has still got some life to give.[:D]
As for the location - well no harm wishing is there![:D]
Regards
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sorry about the lights - Zx are like Bx on ignition and I thought this was a Citroen design feature - never been able to understand it myself.
My BX TD gearbox/clutch have chattered at idle for the 34,000 miles that I have driven it - think mine is clutch release bearing but may not be - no intention of investigating at the moment!
If the hydraulic warning light stays out once its gone out its probably the hydraulic pump thats weak. Worth investigating air in the system - it can cause all manner of apparent faults. Usual way in is through hose from reservoir to pump which can for diagnostic purposes be replaced by a bit of clean garden hose. Look in the reservoir for bubbles - there shouldn't be any.
Also worth having a good look at the engine mounts and driveshafts for vibrations - cause of most but not noises at idle. (Collapsed gearbox top mount might)
jeremy