Weights and measures???

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Weights and measures???

Post by alan s »

I am in the process of trying to organise the shipment of a BX transmission complete with driveshafts and pedal box halfway around the country and have been asked for the weight of it; anybody any clues?
Also any idea of actual volume size also??
I have done a couple of guesses but I'm interested in seeing what others think.
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hmm,
sounds like dogboy is going to conversion route :D
seeya,
Shane L.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by DoubleChevron</i>

Hmm,
sounds like dogboy is going to conversion route :D
seeya,
Shane L.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
SHhhhhhhhsh!!!
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi alan,
years ago I had a 5spder CX gbox couriered down from Queensland. Wasn't cheap, I honestly have no idea how much it was (being so long ago), probably a couple of hundred bux.
Then again ... try posting it with aussie post ... I imagine they'd weigh it ... "that'll be 5000bux thanks mate ....".
seeya,
Shane L.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If you can get it palletised, have a chat with a haulage company doing a part load in your direction, can be a cheap way to get stuff shifted.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The idea is to get it mounted on a pallet with a ply box covering, that way we can either use it as backload with a removalist or possibly even run it down by train, but, everyone of them ask the same question; "how much does it weigh" and "can you give us some physical dimensions" so we're stranded until we can do this so we can get some idea of freight costs.
Common sense says take it out of the car and weigh and measure it, but we have to have these figures to be able to work out a price that suits all parties to see if it's both feasible to do and to work out a price that suits both sides, kind of a catch 22 situation.
Alan S
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I dont have exact figures on the gearbox and all but to give you an idea. I know I can pick up a Xantia gearbox but I can't carry it very far before it gets too heavy. My Dad keeps an anvil in the garage which weighs 56lbs (rather cripling to move about), the Xantia gearbox seemed easier to shift than that.
No doubt it will all go on a standard 1m pallete, you can stick 1 tonne on one safely, the total weight is probably not more than 100kgs.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Just a mad idea - If its still attached to the donor car why not drive it home? Or even tow it / trailer it home. may work out cheaper than courriering.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Alan.
Weather permiting, I'm pulling the lump out of the TXD Saturday, and splitting the box off. Do you want me to weigh and measure?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Just a mad idea - If its still attached to the donor car why not drive it home? Or even tow it / trailer it home. may work out cheaper than courriering.
It has to go about 1200 miles and it's only the gearbox and associated bits that has to go so unfortunately that's not an option.
Alan S
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Dave Bamber</i>

Alan.
Weather permiting, I'm pulling the lump out of the TXD Saturday, and splitting the box off. Do you want me to weigh and measure?
Dave,
That would be perfect; as I say, it really only has to be approximate because if it weighs about as much as a fridge and takes the same floor area but is only as high as a washing machine, I can see no reason why it should cost more than a washing machine or fridge to freight. It at least gives us a basis for an argument.
Thanks heaps.
Alan S
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Right then.
Gear box weighs in at 37kg and with the drive shafts, 47kg according to my bathroom scales. do you need a tape measure running over it too?
More words and piccys of todays action in a while when I've had a few beers and a chill, it's been a hard afternoon.........