Fuel Consumption Berlingo Multispace

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

doctordon
My Cars:

Fuel Consumption Berlingo Multispace

Post by doctordon »

A 'Y' plate 1.9D Multispace has just joined the family pack but the fuel consumption is all over the shop. We are checking it by brimming the tank and taking the trip reading. Some fills have given 32mpg and the best 40, but generally its in the low 30s. The journey to work is a 40mile round trip so it gets warm and is free running - no city centres and traffic jams on the yorkshire wolds !!. No black smoke and diags showed no errors. Any one else with a similar problem or any ideas please as this looks sick next to my Xantia TD [:(]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

My HDI Berlingo does around 55mpg when commuting to work/general running around, but get it on the motorway and that figure will drop by at least 5mpg, giving some idea as the effect of 'Brick style' aerodynamics at speed.
What I have noticed is that the amount of fuel that can be put in the tank varies by quite an amount depending on whether the forecourt is level or on a slope, would this explain your variations?
Jon

Post by Jon »

I used to own a 2001 Berlingo 19D, and found the fuel consumption quite disappointing overall, around 35mpg, on one trip, with 4 adult, one child, and luggage, i couldn't even make Swindon-Isle of White-Swindon on one tank! I did always have the feeling though that the tank was never truly full, in fact I even got Citroen to change the filler neck as it was fond of spraying diesel back when filling up.
I now have the 2.0HDi which is far more economical in all conditions.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

I also owned a 19D Berlingo and was shocked at the poor consumption compared to the BX it replaced. The Bling averaged around 40/42mpg, where as the BX was nearly always 50+. I put it down tho the brick-like aerodynamics of the Berlingo and the fact that the DW8 engine is a bit of a slug. I put up with it for a year and traded it for an HDI.
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Mine seems to do only about 40mpg however I drive it - any suggestions?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Sorry - that's an HDi by the way
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Its the aerodynamics! ZX 1.9D and BX 1.9D (non tubo's) are quoted as having top speeds of about 100 MPH whereas max for peugeot partner 1.9D with essentially the same engine is quoted as 88 and berlingo with HDi (90) is quoted as 98 while picasso (90BHP) is quoted as 109.
jeremy
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

I realise it is as aerodynamic as a brick and it will have a fair effect at 70 or 80 mph but my journey to work is along ordinary roads at about 50 mph and I still only get 40mpg. And why does Rich G above get 55, reducing to 50 on motorway?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Yes and those aerodynamics cost another £20 in road tax each year as the Blingo HDI is 1 gramme over the lower emission limit, unlike the Picasso HDI.
doctordon
My Cars:

Post by doctordon »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

My HDI Berlingo does around 55mpg when commuting to work/general running around, but get it on the motorway and that figure will drop by at least 5mpg, giving some idea as the effect of 'Brick style' aerodynamics at speed.
What I have noticed is that the amount of fuel that can be put in the tank varies by quite an amount depending on whether the forecourt is level or on a slope, would this explain your variations?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">will run some checks using the same garage to see if this affects overall consumption - anything worth a try and at least this option is free. Thanks