Starting Problem

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

fatbugger
My Cars:

Starting Problem

Post by fatbugger »

Hi All
1996 406GLXTD starting from cold problem. Turns over quickly and fires almost instantly. As soon as fired very lumpy and harsh rattling noise from engine for a couple of seconds then clears and noise dissappears.Also cloud of greyish white smoke accompanies cold start. Don't think glowplugs because fires instantly even in sub zero temperatures. As soon as initial cold start has been done starts and runs perfectly every time afterwards. Someone has suggested possibly a dribbling injector causing build up of fuel over night. Any suggestions?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The same as my Xantia,but mine Is the glowplugs.When starting it again,use the glowplugs twice.Let the light go out,& repeat.If it starts smooth,then most likely the plugs.
Could also be the injector leakoff pipes.The short black ones on the injectors.Could be letting air into the system.Before starting,pump the primer bulb untill it goes hard,then start.If thats better,could be a air leak into the fuel system.
fatbugger
My Cars:

Post by fatbugger »

Hi NP
Have tried using glow plugs twice and still the same.
Will try leak off pipes and a bit of bulb squeezing[^][:p]
Will report back.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Either you have an air leak and you are sucking in air into the fuel system, try lots of priming before you crank it, or you have one glow plug failed. Disconnect each plug in turn and measure the current being drawn with a suitable meter, 20 amp range, between the plug and the positive terminal of the battery. Regards Peter