306 grating

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P 2501

306 grating

Post by P 2501 »

Just a quick question about something that has been worrying me a bit lately..
When i start my 306 (1997 xtdt) from cold (overnight) i get a kind of a grating/chafing sound from the engine.At least i think its the engine. It only happens on colder mornings like today (0 c ) and doesn't last long at all,perhaps just 30 secs or so. I have noticed that the noise changes in pitch slightly if i depress the clutch.
Performance not affected, and everything else seems fine with car.
It will not happen if the engine is warm,or when started on a warmer morning.Any amount of heat left in the engine and the noise is not there.
This first started happening about a month ago.
solara

Post by solara »

Is your car parked in a garage over night or out in the cold.
Could it possibly be weak coolant mixture, causing it to freeze up partially, hence the noise? Try squeezing your coolant pipes before cold starting for signs of ice cracking, or ideally check you mixture using a gravity meter. I always keep mines at 50%.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thanks alot for the reply solara.
The car is outside overnight,and i did consider the coolant freezing,but i know that the coolant is only a year old and is definately up to strength.
I am slightly concerned that it may be something serious like the oil not getting distributed properly and something expensive is being ground against something. Could perhaps it be something simpler like the alternator belt/bearing?
The car has done 85,000 miles (p reg) and has the oil and filter and fuel filter changed every 3000 miles by me(overkill i know).