306 grating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

P 2501

306 grating

Post by P 2501 »

Just a quick question about something that has been worrying me a bit lately..
When i start my 306 (1997 xtdt) from cold (overnight) i get a kind of a grating/chafing sound from the engine.At least i think its the engine. It only happens on colder mornings like today (0 c ) and doesn't last long at all,perhaps just 30 secs or so. I have noticed that the noise changes in pitch slightly if i depress the clutch.
Performance not affected, and everything else seems fine with car.
It will not happen if the engine is warm,or when started on a warmer morning.Any amount of heat left in the engine and the noise is not there.
This first started happening about a month ago.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Is it starter related?
jeremy
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

If the noise continues after you put your foot on the clutch and put the car into gear it is not gearbox related.
Jeremy's suggestion sounds sensible perhaps the starter is a bit sticky when cold a little WD40 in the right place might help. Jeremy's theory doesn't explain why the noise would change pitch when the clutch pedal is pressed unless that makes the engine revs go up or down. Does the grating pitch change if you rev the engine slightly? I say slightly because if the starter motor is sticking and stays engaged after you start the engine it could be turning at some enourmous speed which is bad for it.
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Thankyou for the replies.
I hadn't considered the starter at all, but now you mention it it does sound like it could be. A while ago i actually turned the key into the starter motor operating position while the engine was running at idle,as i was curious what would happen (i know,stupid-but thats what i'm like) and the resulting noise did sound a bit like what i am experiencing at the moment.
I certainly will look at that possibility this weekend.Where would i lubricate the starter? it looks quite easy to get at, but i can't see a way to get the spray/oil in.
Thanks again
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

Sorry Kowalski i forgot to answer your question. The noise is only really audible at idle.If i rev the engine or pull away the noise either stops,or it is staying the same and the engine noise is drowning out the grating.
Would this eliminate the starter as cause?
I thought it may be oil circulation related as it really is only at startup and dissapears pretty quickly <30 secs normally.
Oil is in ok condition and all levels fine.