Bleed nipples? Xantia 1.9 TD LX

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

soupy_sam
My Cars:

Bleed nipples? Xantia 1.9 TD LX

Post by soupy_sam »

Can you please tell me where the bleed nipples are on the cooling system as I have tried to bleed the cooling system 6 times now and still no luck.
Have bleed nipples 1 at top of engine with 3 pipes into it by top engine mounting and another ot junction of Bulkhead Matrix.
Are there any more I am missing.
I am using a pop bottle on the filler and still no joy.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Sam,
That should be it - my 95 only had the one above the engine mount. To get it bled you need to fill with the pop bottle, then start engine and run till the fan cuts in and out a couple of times (takes AGES, prop the accelerator open to get 2000 rpm....) with the bottle still in, topping up to keep the level high (especially when the thermostat opens). Try it also with the front raised on ramps. Don't want to be a doom monger, but if you are having problems, you may have cooked the head gasket when you first ran it after the glow plug debarcle - these engines are very intolerant of running hot....
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

When I am first filling the system and I have the bleeders open when do I close them?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

You close them when water without bubbles comes out, i.e. when there is no more air coming out. After you've got the system bled, you may find that over the next couple of days the water level goes down slightly because there is still air trapped and it gradually comes out. You'll have to keep an eye on the coolant level over the next couple of days in any case.
soupy_sam
My Cars:

Post by soupy_sam »

Have done as you say yes coolant dropped took for run fans came on for 30 seconds when I stopped.
There is now a little heat coming from the in car heater.
should I start again and reflush everything and refil and bleed?
Is it hard to flush the Matrix as it is tucked up out of the way and looks hard to get too?