exhaust front piece

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

exhaust front piece

Post by drpau »

Just wondering how the front bit of the exhaust is normally connected to the turbo- is there a gasket or is some exhaust putty stuff normally used? Im wondering because after replacing my back box my front has got noisier and I think I have disturbed something while I changed the back box. Ive been under when its running and cant *see* any gases escaping but the area is too tight (and hot ) to put my hand up through and see if anything is escaping from the joint at the front. Thought I would ask here first before investigating further. My front piece is a replacement stainless piece without the cat btw.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The Xantia (Same engine) has a tapered fire washer, the Xsara will have something similar.
Its PGG17 in the following.
http://www.buypartsby.com/timax/Timax%20180457.bmp
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Cheers Kowalski, do you think I could have damaged this then- when I removed the old back box the front and middle are totally unsupported by anything other than this front bit, I didnt let it drop to the floor or anything prob only bout 10cm- but I had to grab round for something to jam under it to support it before holding it up with some rope. Are these fire rings easily damaged?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

They're pretty durable and if you put them on with exhaust cement can be pretty hard to get off.
They're basically metal mesh with some sort of filler material, and designed to act as a flexible ball joint, so you've probably not done it any harm dropping by 10 cm. Think about how much your engine moves at times (when starting etc), this joint has to accomodate that movement without getting damaged.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Kowalski</i>

Think about how much your engine moves at times (when starting etc), this joint has to accomodate that movement without getting damaged.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well yeah., your right, never thought of that! Its definately louder though and sounds like there is gas getting out somewhere- maybe its got a small gap in it or something- the welds etc are spot on as far as I can see...
CBR600FV
My Cars:

Post by CBR600FV »

Just a quick note. Xsara HDI Estate. My exhaust split just in front of the Cat last week. Dealer only at £302 plus VAT. Local back street welding job £15. A no-brainer really. System did look ok, suspect a bit too much movement might have done it. Longlife stainless steel exhaust £299 fitted and that is a De-Cat as well. I know what I'll be doing when the system fails completely
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by CBR600FV</i>

Just a quick note. Xsara HDI Estate. My exhaust split just in front of the Cat last week. Dealer only at £302 plus VAT. Local back street welding job £15. A no-brainer really. System did look ok, suspect a bit too much movement might have done it. Longlife stainless steel exhaust £299 fitted and that is a De-Cat as well. I know what I'll be doing when the system fails completely
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats why I had my cat removed- it had gone round the weld (apparently v.common) in exactly the same place CBR, got local exhaust place to weld but the metal was so thin (and rusted!)it was weak and couldnt be sure how long it would last, so longlife (leeds) replaced my front section for £130, as apposed to about £160 to 200 for a new cat front section. Seems livelier now for sure. Shame about the extra BOOM at the moment though... [V]