Should I change gearbox oil seals (BE3)?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Should I change gearbox oil seals (BE3)?

Post by Wookey »

I notice from my new Peter Russek manual (quite useful, although not at all cheap) that I am supposed to change the gearbox oil seals every time I take the driveshafts out. I haven't bothered doing this in the past and have not sprung a leak. Would you? I reckon changing them every other time or one time in 3 is about right (depending how often you end up taking the driveshafts out obviously). Am I just being pointlessly skinflint?
Also where is the oil refil hole on a BE3? On my C15 there was a plug, much like the sump plug in the top of the gearbox. I can't see any such thing on this one. Just a white plastic lump (maybe there is something under that?)
Also whilston the subject does anyone see any point in changing the hub nut on the end of the driveshaft every time you take it off (also recomended). I used to do this when I had stake nuts on the C15 (a right pain), but with a pinned nutit seems a tad excessive unless they are deemed to distort beyond re-use every time?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Strictly speaking then yes you should change the seals due to the risk of damage being caused during the removal/refitting process. Also bear in mind that as this job is not generally done that often, it is seen as 'worth it' in the long run.
Personally I have replaced/not depending on circumstances + time since they were last replaced and condition, so I'm possibly similar to yourself-a Skinflint!!!
The oil refill hole is found on the end of the gearbox, around the casing about a third of the way up you will see one bolthead 'out of sequence' with the others where the endplate also widens, that is the refill hole. If you have access to a manual, its worth checking that you are looking at the correct one in order to avoid mistakes.
Again with the driveshaft nut I don't generally replace it when it is secured with the large clip, I can't see it undoing and even if it did, the wheel isn't going to fall off it is?
So unless someone can tell me otherwise, I'm with you-lets stick together!!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

The wheel will fall off if the hub separates, which is can do if the nut comes undone.... but, no I wouldn't replace the R-Clipped nut. Nylocks and staked nuts should be replaced when disturbed (although I don't always do as I say!).
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

OK - thanx guys. I suppose as I haven't replaced the oil seals on this vehicle yet, I should do it this time so I know how old they are. It's not hard, after all. Then I can ignore it for, ohh, ages.