Dilemma - ZX or Motorbike.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Dilemma - ZX or Motorbike.....

Post by martyhopkirk »

Got a bit of a dilemma.... There is a garage near to one of my clinics with a K plate ZX 1.9D Reflex. Not in pristine condition, but not looking half bad with its alloys and gold metalic paint.
Its done a 146K, has a scrape of an MOT (May) and apart from a big hole where the wireless should be seems OK. Some odd dings and scrapes, but no where near as bad as mu P plate AX.
Its £150.[:0]
I am really really tempted to buy it as a restoration project. My only other dilemma is that I am also watching this bike on eBay - which is only round the corner from me.....
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... RK:MEBI:IT
Cant afford both, really want another bike, but then i rather like the ZX too, and its ben tempting me a lot longer than the bike.
So which should it be[?] I suppose the only downside to the ZX is storage as I no longer have a lock up ( thanks to finding Terry the Tramp living therein) it Might just go on the front garden between the caravan and the hedge.... Whereas the Bike will definatly fit in the shed (once i have cleared out the bouncy castle and paddling pool).
Opinions on a postcode please[;)]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Why not get a new credit card with one of those 0% balance transferes and get the ZX on the new credit card and then cash on the bike. This way you'll have at least 9 months interest free on the ZX in which time you can either repair or sell on and clear the bill. Or the other way round.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Thats a survivor! ( the bike I mean....) I once had the 400 version of that engine in a 400N Superdream, and the cam, as far as I could tell, seemed to run directly in the head without any obvious bearing surfaces.......6 valves if I remember right, and check the comstars for loose rivets!! (have they been fitted since it was new? I'm sure this version came with spokes) Strange to think of them being considered as a classic now.
You can get a ZX anyday, but not one of those.....
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Save your money, don't buy either or it'll end up costing you much more than £150.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

ZX. Dryer, warmer, safer. Haggle, get it for a ton, fill yer boots!
Edited to add, make sure it's a Bosch pump[;)]
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Now if it was a BSA, Norton, Vincent etc., there'd be no competition!
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Zx looks like a safer bet, then again two wheels....... the 400 superdream motor was vastly better than the 250, as long as lubrication servicing has been something like it then its possibly ok, but you have loads of vehicles anyway Marty???
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by oilyspanner</i>

but you have loads of vehicles anyway Marty???
Stewart.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Not that many -
Xantia (Mandy)
AX (Lemony)
Honda C90 (old failful!)
Always room for 1 more, and strangely I miss the ZX.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

[ZX nerd mode] A reflex with alloys and gold paint? sounds like an Aura! [;)]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

[ZX nerd mode] A reflex with alloys and gold paint? sounds like an Aura! [;)]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
[?] Could be - though badged reflex with colour coded bumpers. Electric sun roof and front windows (sure the rear are wind up only). Not seen the V5c to see what its registered as yet. Up there this dinner time so may take the plunge and have a good look / prod.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

BUY IT!!!! you know you WANT TO!!!
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Marty,
You got more than one car and a dodgy 'onda step thru doesnt count as a bike so but the bike.
I was off bikes for 5 years, I missed it every day, even if you only use it nice days, buy the bike, bargain ZX's will be around for ages yet, bikes like that will not.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stinkwheel</i>

Marty,
You got more than one car and a dodgy 'onda step thru doesnt count as a bike so but the bike.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Agreed - the bike it will be (or at least if it doesnt go for more than I can afford!)
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Speaking as the owner of a ZX 1.9 D I've got to say that while its got many virtues excitement certainly isn't one which I suppose is when my BX TD Estate was beginning to look expensive when I was on holiday last year I decided against doing the sensible thing and getting a ZX Turbo estate.
Actually I was lucky and the BX problems were for once much less severe than I thought. Just a case of saying that its still going and doesn't seem to be unsafe so I'll sort it when I get home.
You've had a ZX so if you get another you'll only be making comparisons with a judgement clouded by nostalgia. If you want a project - get a fast BX which you would probably use. I wouldn't get a monster because if the fuel consumption is enormous you will always find excuses not to use it.
Bike is an excellent solution. I should imagine if a Honda has been reasonably well looked after it will run sweetly for years - at least it shouldn't leak.
Jeremy
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Marty, get the ZX and save on broken bones, hosp visits etc etc.. Sooner or later you and the bike would part company, and we want you safe and well.. So do your family.. ZX is the only viable option really... And I enjoy driving mine..