Rear Sphere Replacement Xantia 1.9D

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bh_2_5

Rear Sphere Replacement Xantia 1.9D

Post by bh_2_5 »

Is it difficult to replace the rear spheres in a Xantia, an initial look it seems to be fairly straight forward. Do the spheres come pre-gassed. How do you go about it. Are there any special tools required for this work. Are there any handy tips to make life easier. The last time I got them re-gassed I was robbed, so I would prefer to replace the rear spheres myself this time. (1.9D 120,000miles).
Surely this question has been asked before on this forum.[:)]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

You are right, this is a regular topic. The rear spheres are straightforward but you will need a very robust strap wrench or the proper tool a pattern of which can be got from Pleadies at Sawtry, Cambridgeshire.
There are a few essential safety issues when working under Cits, ramps and or stands, a falling Cit when the hydraulics ease down with a rush and your next years pancake!!
To break the seal on the spheres you may need to try and turn the sphere a quarter turn ONLY with the suspension on high and under pressure. The outer rim of the sphere rusts and seizes on the suspension arm and you can damage the pipework if you try to turn the sphere with a loose/unretained suspension arm. Get hold of a Haynes handbook for the car. It is all explained in there plus a few searches on this site will give you all you need. The centre accumulator sphere is slightly different prospect, it has a small pipe on the blind side of it and if you just undo the sphere it will shear the pipe off!! Good luck. Robin
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

When it comes to the centre accumulator sphere and this blind side pipe, what exactly do you have to do? Do you need to clamp the unit the sphere is attached to, to prevent it turning and shearing the pipe? Is that possible?
Adam.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

To remove the rear anti-sink sphere you first remove the pipe from the back of the sphere, it has a standard type of union on the back of it and a citroen rubber seal, then the sphere can be unscrewed from its bracket. This sphere isn't directly a part of the suspension, so if you've got poor ride quality this sphere isn't responsible, its real purpose is to provide a pressure reserve to operate the rear brakes.
nridley
My Cars:

Post by nridley »

I'm about to change my centre accumulator sphere located at the bottom of the engine. I only have 5 spheres on my Xantia (it being one of the first models). The Haynes manual does not explain anything about it being different to remove than the other four. Is this true? I had it ramped up at the weekend, lowered suspension and depressurised system but not for love nor money was it going to budge. Am I missing something here?!!!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The front accumulator sphere is no different to remove than any other sphere (apart from the rear anti-sink sphere which you don't have). The only caveat is that you MUST depressurise the system before removing it, by Haynes explains how to do this (slacken but don't remove the 12mm bolt on the pressure regulator - you should hear a hiss as the pressure is released).
HaydnR
My Cars:

Post by HaydnR »

do you not initially loosen by 1/4 turn while pressurised as this is the only way I've managed stubborn corner spheres
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Hammer and cold chisel made short work of the stubborn accumulator on my TD. Watch out for the radiator though!