ZX immobilisers

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Cam
My Cars:

ZX immobilisers

Post by Cam »

Changed the glowplugs on my ZX yesterday ( 96 1.9D). Started great and motored the 25 yards from my garage block to parking. Job done [:D]
Went to start it this morning, put in immobilser code on keypad ( the one with an "S" on it ? )..... Green light...... turned it over... no fire and the immobilser pad whistles with the green light on, the red light dimly flickering and the central locking slightly shuffling to the rhythm.... tried restart sequence & same prob.
Tried pulling the fuses and dissing the battery to try and "reset" but no luck.
Is there any chance I disturbed some wiring whilst changing the plugs?
or is this just bad luck?
The owners manual talks about this keypad being linked to the engine management system... if thats buggered I bet it's expensive ( I didn't even know it had one..... )
In desparation I spent a Sunday afternoon scanning a Haynes manual for clues and found nothing.
Suggestions or ideas would be very welcome ( preferably NOT scrapping)
Cheers
Cam
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check the black four pin plug on the injection pump, and also the main loom multiplug on the inner right front wing behind the headlight, this has a sliding clip that lets the two parts come apart, chack all pins for oxidisation.
Dave
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Not to be funny, but that sounds like mine when the battery is flat.
Also try the plug on the injection pump (on mine theres a black one and a blue one, make sure they are plugged together tight). Last resort is to turn ignition on, leave it without code for about 30 mins, which is supposed to reset the code to 1111 (or so i am told!)
Cam
My Cars:

Post by Cam »

Dave & Bob
Will put some time in under the bonnet tonight & check.
Battery seemed to be turning the engine over O.K but it has always been "3 attempts or forget it" so will invest in new one today.
Report back tomorrow
Cheers.
Cam
My Cars:

Post by Cam »

Wilkobob,
You wern't being funny.........
Put in new battery and it fired up on first turn.
I feel a bit of a tit now but you live and learn[:I]
Thanks Bob & Dave for your help.
Cheers![:D]
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

No worries, I have seen this problem before, and theres only a small noticable difference in the way it turns the thing over (believe it or not, mine was like it when i bought it, turned over fine, but wouldnt start, but it started on a jump so i assumed battery was kaput)
Glad to know its worked though. Good luck with the car.