Myth busters (20.02.05)

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

Myth busters (20.02.05)

Post by Stuart McB »

Any one seen this programme. Myth busters. Two guys who do just that. They try to either prove or dis-prove a myth. To day they had an old Cadillac small block V8 and tried to destroy it. They put sugar & moth bals in the tank, a penny in the hugh Holy carb and run the cooling system on Coke all of which didn't bother the engine. They holed the rad and then stopped the leak with an egg in it, worked first time. What killed it was bleech in the oil it was still running but leaking from the HG's and making a hell of a noise but still going. [:D] just shows how strong an engine can be.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">They put sugar & moth bals in the tank, a penny in the hugh Holy carb <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You could threaten to excommunicate Hugh!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

sorry read huge not hugh (so ashamed).
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Did a little time in the GKN FVD unit, Fighting Vehicles Division not the other form of VD unit!!!!!!
They had the task of running various engines and equipment under the most horrendous conditions to see what finally killed them off.
On one occasion they took the butterfly out of a carb, started it up and walked away. Ran for several hours before the part that failed, which was on the test rig and not the engine itself, drained the coolant out and it siezed.
On another occasion they shot a hole in the crankcase, breaking a con rod on a V12 diesel and it still carried on for several hours before all the oil finally came out of the hole in the side.
What do the MOD do today to battle test their equipment, or don't they? I think both these engine were USA sourced. R
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Robin</i>

Did a little time in the GKN FVD unit, Fighting Vehicles Division not the other form of VD unit!!!!!!
They had the task of running various engines and equipment under the most horrendous conditions to see what finally killed them off.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Remember my Grandfather telling me tales of Bedford Trucks being run on fuel made from coal and alcohol in France duing the (second world) war. Apparently apart from the plugs needing cleaning they ran and ran and ran. Coolant? Just pee in the radiator - thats all they did apparently.
I Shouldnt worry about throwing cooking oil into my AX then should I.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

sorry read huge not hugh (so ashamed).
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Me too, Stuart [}:)] It was the mental image of the holy carburettor I was really rolling around the floor over! Though I have called them worse than this - stand up Weber from BX16 with hairline crack on antiflooding vacuum reservoir!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The info-mercial for 'prolong' is quite entertaining. Its a US made additive along the lines of slick50, now being advertised on the shopping channels and in the car mags over here.
They treat a car,then drain the oil,and drive it round LA all day, claiming to stop for food only.
To further impress us punters they have a big old V8 running on a static rig, they drain the oil from it, it still runs so they cut the coolant hoses. It then runs all night, with men in white coats with clipboards periodically appearing and abusing the old lump even further.
They fill the sump with sand, lob grit into the rockers, all sorts, but it keeps on running.
I think the V8 is the common thing here-big, understressed, and with massive clearances- I notice they never seem to use a HDI or Zetec, but watching 'Long way round' they several times sucked siberian swamp into thier modern (2 wheeled) Beemer engines but they still kept on going!!
I wonder if the mythbusters chaps will be driving Cits on 3 wheels?