405 turbo diesel injector refurb?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dvhttn

405 turbo diesel injector refurb?

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Just got a 70K 405 GTDT which is in very good nick. As I had my previous 205D for 60K miles and 3 years and that was a bit of a dog I may well have this for just as long - unless the 6 numbers come up!
Anyhow, it seems to go OK but there a is a bit of white smoke under almost no load and the throttle seems alittle stiff.
On the throttle side I think it's just a combination of the nylon bush on the floor (replace dwith another 2nd hand one and it improved a lot) and a dryish cable.
I'd like to get the engine operating as well as I can and ideally want to go to the Dervdoctor and get it tweaked. But in the emantime I was wondering if it was really worth getting the injectors refurbed? Would I notice the difference? The reason being that I think it best to get the engine running as well as possible before tuning.
Comments on refurbing? Are the injectors the cause of the white smoke maybe? Or is this the fuelling?
Cheers
joe_405TD

Post by joe_405TD »

i have 405 td and injectors seem ok, it cost lots to get the recon and with th milage you have they should be ok.
I have put redex adative in mine and this restores the injectors spray pattern....it made mine run much better and cleaner.
white some is usually water burning, so thats a bit wierd unless you head gasket is going and water is getting in the cylinders???? this happened to me once.
tweaking the pump you self is easy depending on which pump you have if its the bosch one replie and i will post some info
Cheers Joe
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Thanks for the reply. I'll stick to the injector cleaner then ...
The pump is a Lucas Cav one - with a Bosche fuel filter (wot is it with these French???). I have read that with the pump set incorrectly it can cause some smoke.
Cheers
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

White smoke isn't necessarily the above suggestion! It can be a matter than the timing needs some adjustment. Too much much air and not enough fuel will puff out white smoke, especially when cold. Too much fuel, not enough air will generate black smoke.
The restiction in fuel could also be poor condition of the injectors, have you given it a good dose of diesel injection cleaner? and even to the extent of changing the fuel filter and pouring it straight in to the chamber/bowl! and giving it a good hot thrash letting the governer kick in and out. Injector service is about £30 per injector.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

I'd say it was worth servicing injectors once they have done 80K or so, so it may be worth doing in your case. As the man says it is GBP30 each so worth trying cheaper/easier options first. At my diesel place I just got all 4 checked for 6 quid quid each and they just did an exchange for the one that was poorly saying the others were 'good enough', so that was 50 quid all-in, which has dramtically reduced the clatter in this engine. But in your case it doesn't sound like anything is significantly wrong, just potentially a bit worn.
dvhttn

Post by dvhttn »

Hi,
Thanks for all the input so far. I wasn't really having problems with the injectors - just wondered about the beneficial effects, or not, of having them refurbed. Chucked in some injector cleaner anyhow and also booked it into the Dervdoctor next week. At 13 years old I guess the turbo boost is a little doen so they can get things running sweetly again!
I know you can do it yourself BUT I haven't done one before and they've done hundreds so it's easier and possibly cheaper if they do it for me.
I'll let you know the results.
Cheers