Up the Suwannee

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Up the Suwannee

Post by Stempy »

Today I was driving my Xantia along happily when the red stop light came on along with the brake warning light. I ignored it as you do as the car continued to behave normally, but after a short time the car gradually began to sink and the brakes slowly got worse and worse until nothing at all, so then I had to stop. Checked for lack of LHM but tank seems full. RAC were called and car was put on the back of a truck. I'm now at home sulking.
It's dark and snowing so can't get out to check anything and not sure where to start anyway. I'm assuming the pump might have packed up, but how would I check? Suspension is bottomed out and wont pump up, which gave the recovery guy a few problems loading it. Brake pedal does nothing but I can slowly move it around the drive using the handbrake. Can anyone give me inspiration. Tomorrow I'll probably have to hire a car to get to work 'cos I ain't using the bike this weather.[:(] Bugger bugger and pants.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

It sounds like an internal leak, but where......... I take it the alternator/pump belt is still intact/not slipping?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Belt is still fine, pump is spinning away. I did try undoing the decompression valve on the regulator and there was no whistling sound of pressure being released.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

If you wish to check the compatability of your pump to a 2.0 16V one, I have a 'known good one' you are welcome to try.
It could also be the pressure regulator bearing in mind your last. Can you hear any 'clicking' from the regulator or the usual 'noise' from the pump as its working?
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

You can pull the return pipes off at the tank and see whether the pump is working quite easily surely?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

I would have thought that the fact that the car sank must be indicative of an internal leak on the basis that if the pump just stopped working the anti-sink valves would click in just as if the engine was stopped and therefore the car would still be at normal ride height.
As mentioned above have you taken the filler cap off the LHM tank to see what the LHM is doing when the engine runs?
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Thanks Richard. Funny you should mention compatability. The MAP sensor you sent is listed as having the same part no. as mine, but although it is the same shape and will fit onto the manifol the electrical connector is different.
Anyway, back to the subject in hand, I'll have another look in the morning and see what I can find out, I think there was the odd click but can't be sure. I did look in the tank with the engine running and it didn't look like there was any movement of fluid, though I've never looked in there while it's running before so don't know whether you can actually see anything happening.
And BTW, the front seemed to sink much more than the back if that makes a difference.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The system pressure will slowly disappear during drive if the pump does not build up pressure. Thus the antisink valves does not do their job as it resembles the driver is changing the height on purpose.
It could certainly be the pump at fault - but try first if it simply lost the feed because of an airleak in the feed hose.
I think it's normal for the front to sink first as it is heavier. My BX does this if I set suspension to lowest.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Stempy, send the MAP sensor back and I'll refund you.
As far as the LHM tank, if all is well you should see fluid movement when the engine runs. If you wish to try that pump on spec let me know when you can pick it up, if it doesn't solve the problem, nothing lost as I'll take it back no probs.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

OK Richard, we'll see what I can suss out in the morning.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Do listen to Anders ... He's a very smart person :)
Seriously check the feed line from the reseviour to pump extremely carfully, if it has loose clamps/splits/cracks it will suck air and not pump fluid.
After you have very carefully checked this line, pull the line off from the reseviour, press a funel into it and fill the funnel with LHM. This will prime the pump, hopefully if you do this it will start pumping again. If it does, quickly plug it back onto the reseviour
I've never heard of any hydraulic Citroen pump just stopping like that. Usually they just get slower .... and slower ..... and slower ...... you get the idea.
I put $$$$ on it sucking air. Possibly the filters in the tank are completely blocked if the LHM has never been changed.
seeya,
Shane L.
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well heres the update. Having calmed down a bit and had a look at things properly this morning I removed the pump feed pipe from the tank end and there seemed to be very litle fluid in it (the pipe)so I assume it must have sucked in air from somewhere. Having reprimed the pump it immediately began to pump up, then the wierdness began!
The steering began to vibrate when the wheel was turned although this gradually got better and has now stopped. Now it seems the rear suspension will not go directly from fully down to fully up but will work if you go up a stage at a time although the front shoots up and down like a good 'un. Looking in the LHM tank there seems to be a flow of fluid but it looks a bit airiated, don't know if this is normal. Brakes appear to be ok. Pressure reg clicking like it should.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Do the Citaerobics [:)]
Stempy
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

Well the Xant got me to work and back today without a hitch, 60 mile round trip. Still not entirely happy with the rear suspension. Done some Citaerobics but it's still not rising quite how it should. Plus the vibratey steering wheel happened once more, but only for an instant. Hydraulics eh! Give me electrics any day, much easier to understand. Guess I should be looking for an air leak somewhere.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Vibey steering is air in the system pure and simple (but then you knew that) odd that you seem to have so much air in the system, is it loosing LHM at all? Maybe its pulling in air from somewhere, but with no signs of a leak sounds odd?