fans come in too late

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

oscarloco
My Cars:

fans come in too late

Post by oscarloco »

I don't know for sure but after reading everybodies responeses I got to the conclusion that the cooling fans should come on at around 90 degrees centigrade. In my ZX they come on at around 95 - 97 at slow speed and at full blast at around 100 - 105. They cut out at around 90.
Is this correct?
Also, I tried finding the temperatur sensor but I could't. Where is it? How can I check if it's working fine?
I'm thinking in removing the thermostat (it's been ver warm here, 25 Celsius) while I sort the problem. Would it harm the engine?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

It would be waste of time and efforts removing the thermostat. That would only result in the engine warming up a bit slower in your climate.
The radiator thermoswitch is working fine since it does bring on the fans on both low and high speed.
I believe you may have an airlock fooling the temperature gauge.
Try bleed it using homemade headertank : http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... IC_ID=9777
If not that - it could be restricted flow in the cooling system :
1) radiator blocked in lower part by sediments. Check that the radiator gets even hot all over.
2) The lower coolant hose from bottom of rad to the (car's) RHS side of engine where it connects to the waterpump. Known to collapse in hot conditions thus restricting coolant flow. Check it while engine hot and idling - even have an assistant speed up the engine while you look. This would be my main suspect in yuor climate.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

I will try that. I have also found some topics mentioning a "brown plug" that goes to the bitron unit and sends the fan start signal. It says that it can be tested using a piece of wire and bridging two terminals. Does my car has this plug?
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I wouldn't worry about it as long as they do actually work- what it says on the gauge is not neccessarily the real temperature, your gauge is probably just a bit inaccurate, what you should worry about is if the fans are behaving differently to what they were, say, a week ago....if they have always been like this then no problem.
Theres no better way of inducing paranoia than putting numbers on a gauge- all anyone really needs is blue at the bottom, red at the top!!!!!!!
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

Yeah, I think thats why all the gauges are now electronically damped. I followed a thread to http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/base/workshop.htm
and found that the control unit is doing its job. The fans DO come on low speed at 97 as stated and they do cut out at 90. And of course, they will come on at full blast at around 107.
Just one question, where is the temperature sensor located?
James.UK
My Cars:

Post by James.UK »

Temp sensor on my ZX is on the right hand side of the radiator facing the car, under the top hose and above the air intake pipes.
oscarloco
My Cars:

Post by oscarloco »

thanks for all the info