BX Hard Front Suspension

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CommY
My Cars:

BX Hard Front Suspension

Post by CommY »

Hi All
My farthers front suspension is slightly hard. The struts were transferred from a car where they worked fine and the spheres are recently recharged. What could be the problem.
Also what tyres are recomended for a BX as the MX's are no longer available.
Thanks in advance!
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try bleed the suspension using Citaerobics.
Then you could try lube the struts internally this way : http://citroenz.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=730
Do the common jerking test of the suspesion. It should feel like a normal car and be soft on each corner to press down. If not then the "new" spheres are no longer new [8]
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Is there an off chnace of you having GTI spheres instead of standard ones?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You say the spheres were recently recharged. If they were less than 50% full before they were regasses, then there's every possibility they have "blown,"
A flat or almost flat sphere is more often than not damaged internally due to a couple of little "tricks" Mr Citroen designed into the internals of a sphere that punch a hole through or weaken the membrane making it vulverable to rupturing when the sphere is regassed.
If it's blown, then the corner(s( on which the sphere is blown will be rock hard and the LHM level has been known to firstly rise suddenly (as the nitrogen goes into the system) and then drop suddenly (as the LHM leeches into the empty sphere.)
Alan S
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Thanks for you help chaps, the sphere were OK before recharges(they were weighed and were fine). Citrobics didn't help but will try the internal lube trick. Beffo not GTi spheres they came from a 1.6 Athena that had sooooo soft suspension. As the struts and spheres came from this car I was thinking the front end hardness on the donor car must be down to some other component. The donor car is a 1.7TD BTW.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

AFAIK Some TDs used smaller spheres on the front, this might explain a firmer ride.
Stewart