405 mystery black plastic box

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

reades

405 mystery black plastic box

Post by reades »

Hi got a 1991 H reg 405 diesel estate.
I replaced the aerial yesterday, the coat hanger had provided faithful service, but it was time to get proper reception. The aerial is fitted from inside the boot on the passenger side. It coexists with the jack. Underneath the aerial and jack and roughly on a level with the boot floor is a black box about 12ins x 3 x 4 high. The wires for the rear lights emerge from it, also a rubber tube goes into it. Any idea what it does? it seems empty - spooky or what?
Rod
Stuart McB

Post by Stuart McB »

Tow bar prehaps?
PowerLee

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
The Peugeot parts cd rom call this an " AIR PULLER "
The saloon parts drawing shows one on each side, The estate parts drawing shows just the one on the left hand side.
Dont worry about it, Its ment to be there.
reades

Post by reades »

It must do something, or is it redundant like the appendix?
PowerLee

Post by PowerLee »

It must be something to do with airflow through the cabin.
Like I said, Its ment to be there, My saloon has it as well, So dont worry about it.
BagStar

Post by BagStar »

As PowerLee said, it's an 'AirPuller'.
If you looked at the parcel shelf on a saloon, it has vents/holes closest to the window. When the car is in motion, the 'air puller' creates a vacuum and draws or 'pulls' the 'stale' air from inside the car, to keep an equal amount of air pressure inside the car.
If this was'nt there, the aerodynamics would probably be effected slightly, as the air through the vents would have no means of escaping.
Leave it as it is, because it does the job described above.
reades

Post by reades »

fascinating. really appreciate this explanation.
Rod
PowerLee

Post by PowerLee »

Also, There has been a couple of cases worldwide of 405 rear windows blowing out / shattering as you drive along because of failure of the air puller.
Its a very very very rare thing to happen, Ive never seen one myself, But if it did ever happen ( Which it wont ) Go & Buy yourself a lottery ticket!
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

powerlee - you are taking the p**s aren't you?
PowerLee

Post by PowerLee »

Taking the p**s out of what?
It has happened before, Ive never heard about one failing in the U.K. but there has been a couple of cases reported worldwide.