DS buyers advice

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

DS buyers advice

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi guys!
Well, my mom said to me:
"If you sell the 406, i'll get you a DS"
What can i do?[:D]
So, i got my eyes on a 1973 DS Special (an ID, right?) for €6000. i hope it's still on sale by the time i manage to get the 406 living under the bridges[:P]
Any special advices on what to look for?
Thanks!
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Yep,
I have some advice. Do you know DS's ?? Most importantly do you know how to check there frame for rust ??
To stop you buying a dog with a nice coat of paint I strongly suggest you take a DS guru along with you to look at any car you are interested in. DS's unlike other Citroens hide there rust very well. A rusted out dog of a car can look very nice with some shiny panels hanging off it.
I suggest you join the DSeries-L list on the yahoogroups server. The may be someone near you that can look at any DS you wish to purchase.
Personally I'd be looking for either a 50's DS19 or a late DS23/DS21 ie hydraulic (BVH).
good luck,
Shane L.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

Just to add a bit to Shane's excellent advice, yes, go for a late 21 or 23. Don't be put off by BVH - it is truly excellent.
Don't be put off by fuel injection, it is no more complicated than a carburettor, and gives much better running, more power and economy.
Join the D-lists on yahoo (2 of them).
As a first check before doing anything else, check these areas for rust:
Remove rear wings (1 bolt) and check state of inner wing and channel at top.
Remove anti-roll bar cover at front of boot and check state of boot floor under it.
Check inside of sill box sections inside car (covered by carpet).
Check front rail above windscreen for rot under rubber.
Good luck!