BX mysterious gearbox 1CT1S

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

czenda
My Cars:

BX mysterious gearbox 1CT1S

Post by czenda »

Hi, I have quite mysterious gearbox on my BX 16 TRS. The label riveted at the same place where the engine type label is located reads 1CT1S. Engine type is BAY (I believe these engines were intended for Switzerland and, maybe, Sweden). However, no 1CT1S gearbox is mentioned in Haynes BOL. The gearbox lacks holes for gearbox oil change/level check. I wonder if anybody knows more about this gearbox - it may be that they used different marking to come with the BAY engine? Thanx.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

what year is your car? is reverse opposite 5th or the other side next to first?
Jeremy
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Next to first.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think this means your gearbox is pre mid 1989 when the BE series was introduced. this would fit with the lack of a level plug, I think the approved method was to drain the box and fill with a measured quantity.
jeremy
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

Forgot to mention - the year is 88
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

The BX16 and BX19 always have either the BE or the ZF (auto) gearboxes.
The designation 1CT1S is NOT the type number - but some sort of a manufacturing number to trace the upgrade/modification level of the box.
My '89 BX16 also have a strange sticker with a number on the box, but it is definately a BE type box.
The BE gearboxes came in a huge number of variants where all kind of minor modifications during the years gives a new variant, like a different set of gear ratios.
The most wellknown variants are the earlier/newer types with different location on the reverse. Also the variants with the L-type clutch lever - and the direct lever arm are wellknown.
Add to this the Peugeot variants which had a cable pull type reverse locking mechanism.
czenda
My Cars:

Post by czenda »

If PGT gearboxes were used on BXs, is it sensible to consider the gearbox being one of them then? I cannot think of any other reason for the "CT" code being printed on the label. The whole point is that I am trying to make this clear should the gearbox need replacing in future (I have already resolved the issue of changing gearbox oil using valuable input from this forum). Honestly, should the need arise, it may turn to be cheaper and easier to replace the whole engine. The funny thing is that I seem to be the only member of our local forum having a gearbox without filling/draining hole... It may also be that the old saying "each and every BX is an original of its own" has proven to be true again.
Thanx for your hints, they are much appreciated.