xantia starting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

red

xantia starting

Post by red »

On start up my 96 xantia td is very smokie and runs very rough.This clears after a few minutes and there is no visable sign of smoke in the mirror on accleration.This problem seems to be worse in cold weather.I have changed the glow plugs but to no avail.As there is 160 km on the clock I am wondering about the injectors.Any ideas.......
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Welcome to the forum red,[:)]
1,Try using the glow plugs twice,turning on,let the light go out & repeat.If it starts beter,proberly a glow plug problem.After changing mine for cheap plugs,the problem was the same after 6 mths.Buru are the best plugs.
2,before starting,prime the fuel system using the priming bulb,rear of engine bay on drivers side.Just pump it till it goes hard,then start it.If it starts ok,could be air getting into the fuel system.Check the injector leakoff pipes,the short black pipes on the injectors.Could be cracked,split etc.[:)]
red

Post by red »

Thanks NP,But I have recently changed the glow plugs for beru and on several occasions I have checked the priming bulb only to find it hard after being stopped over night.This problem seems to be worse on very cold mornings. Heating the glow plugs twice or three times makes no difference as the car always starts after a couple of cranks.Timing or timing belt have not been touched recently.Any ideas????????????????
RED.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

As you have done the obvious, the next thing is to check the valve clearances - you may well find some have closed up leading to a loss of compression when cold. If they look OK, try some injector cleaner, and if that doesn't work, then time to get the injectors overhauled and the timing checked (properly with a dial gauage, not just the pins in the sprocket).
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Have you got the cold start device operated by a waxstat thermostatic devic device near the thermostat with a bowden cable going to the pump? If so is it still working? The cable should tighten when cold and lenngthen when the engine warms. Mark the cable when cold and then look if it has moved when hot (or notice the tension.
Its effect is to advance the timing and give a fast idle as well as reducing smoke on startup. You should also have a distinct fast idle 950 revs dropping to 750 when hot.
jeremy