Wheel security

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CANDO

Wheel security

Post by CANDO »

This morning I had my unused (it’s a 54 reg) spare wheel & tyre stolen[}:)] from my Berlingo multispace 2.0 HDI (while my mother was sitting in the front passenger seat would you believe. She heard a small noise from the back, opened the door to look and they were gone!)
Having owned 3 Bx and a 405 I have always thought these were an easy target but this is the first I have had stolen. Lousy security supplied by citroen/pug![}:)][}:)]
I seem to recall reading somewhere about additional security for this type of fitting. Can anybody recall this or make any suggestions to reduce the risk of a repeat performance?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

You can buy a lock from the dealers,or some bigger car superstores.The last time i saw one,i think it was about £20.It was in a magazine,cant remember when sorry.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I saw a device in Diesel car mag called a K lock, suppoed to prevent this.
Stewart
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I believe citroen do a decent kit themselves, that's reasonably priced.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

The problem with fitting these locks to a Berlingo is that you end up with the bolt head sticking up in the middle of the boot floor.
I had mine stolen over Christmas even though it was an old tyre whose tread was only just legal. I now keep it in the boot unless I need the full use of the boot. What I may do though is use another old wheel/tyre then paint it every colour under the sun. If the Oiks nick that then good luck to them, after all it may be slightly traceable!!!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

a chain and padlock, simple cheap and effective. Just lock it to the carrier.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Padlock and chain through the wheel and the towing eye!!! Regular WD on the padlock to keep it from seizing, though.
They see that, its going to take them too long- thats rule one of car security-make it easier to nick someone elses rather than yours.