BX 1991 1.6L - hidraulic pump bad?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wonderd

BX 1991 1.6L - hidraulic pump bad?

Post by wonderd »

It take the car a minute to raise and only if the engine is running on 1500 rpm, also, in a stoplight the car lowers and doesn't stay at normat height.
Can it be the main pump faulty?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Is it only the front that lowers at traffic light stops ?
My bet it is the front only.
Then it is NOT the pump.
Instead the front struts (suspension cylinders) are worn out and are leaking badly into the rubber return hoses.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

No, actually it's the back and the front.
the back goas down faster.
the second i turn off the engine the car starts lowering and it take the car a minute or two to lower all the way.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try this write-up I did a couple of years ago : Tracing ticking hydraulics
Print it out on paper to have it near you when fiddling on the car. I bet you come over the problem then ...
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Thank you Anders, i am reading and following what you have written,
there are two things i found right before i started reading your article -
1. the PR has never ticked since i got the car, it has that struggling sound that sounds like a long hissing, and the sound is there until i push the gas a little and raise the engine rpm to over 1500 rpm, only then it stops and ticks.
2. the second thing i found out was that there is a return hose (one closest to high pressure hose) that leaks a lot when i stop the engine, don't think it's ok is it? i think i was told one that the return hoses should leak just a little bit and that sure isn.t the case here.
what do you think??
Elad.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

A couple of questions:
1. have you got power steering?
2. Does the warning light function properly? Does it ever come on when you are driving?
3. Are the return pipes still attached to the front struts or is it leaking everywhere? (They are clamped to the inside of the strut near the bottom and go to the bodywork. They often snap or leak especially at the strut junction.
jeremy
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

1. when i am driving yes i have power steering, but when the engine is idle then no.
2. Lately the stop lights comes on also when the engine is idle.
3. Last, the return pipes of the struts are ok with no leaking.
Elad.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

Might be silly think to say but with that hissing noise ans ocassional stop light, is the bleed bolt closed properly? maybe its just cracked off a bit?
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

No, that bolt is firmly closed...[xx(][xx(][xx(][:)]
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

thought it was probably a daft thing to say.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

Yes, but it seems that now i have to do something i didn't want to - take apart the brake valve and clean it, maybe it's there.
If not then maybe i should take off the pas and clean that one.
That bx is hidraulics is sure taking a lot of my energy, it's 1991 and makes a lot more problems then the old 1987 that i used to have -that one never gave me any hidraulic problems, stayed up and proud with no leaks and no clicks...[B)]
should i play with the steering and the brake valves or should i check in a different place first??
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Try first locate the problem using the flow test at the reservoir. That will reduce wasted time and efforts.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

When you say 'flow test at the reservoir' you mean checking the return hoses at the reservoir?
If so, then i did that and there is one that is leaking badly - that is the one which there is another hose connected to it close to the reservoir and is the closest to the high presure hose.
i think that this is the one coming from the brakes isn't it??
and if that is the case then should i take apart and clean the brake doseur valve?
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Yep that's the one.
It may help cleaning the brake doseur valve.
wonderd

Post by wonderd »

well, thank you all for helping me here, i'll try doing that sometime during the week and get back to you guys to say how it went.
thanks
elad.