MOT failure

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chriszx

MOT failure

Post by chriszx »

hi all - zx just failed MOT on right rear brake, footbrake and handbrake - its working, just not enough to pass, wheel turns ok when brakes off and works enough to stop it turning by hand when on, is this a seized piston?, or is it the pressure limiting device?, if its the caliper is it worth rebuilding or should i just get another (its the bendix)- ta.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Disc or drum? usually a good clean, if disc remove piston, clean bore refit bleed and bob is yer uncle, if drum as long as its not leaking then strip linings, clean everything de-dust and refit, it cannot be the pressure limiter if its okay the other side.
Stewart
chriszx

Post by chriszx »

its a disc, i didn't know how whether its worth messing with in relation to getting a new caliper, would it need rebuilding with new parts?
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

if its the footbrake thats weak then theres no point in changing the caliper, just clean it up, have the pads out and clean where they run, give it a bleed and the chances are that it will all be fine.
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Silly question, but have you actually had the wheel off for a look?- you could just need a new set of pads and a disc.
MOT brake standards are pretty appallingly low compared to the tests obsession with emmision levels, and you can still pass with virtually no meat on the pads and a disc like paper- you may have gone beyond this....Its also worth ckecking that the hose hasn't collapsed internally, try bleeding some fluid through-it should flow easily.
chriszx

Post by chriszx »

yeah, i've had a quick look at it, its had new discs and pads fairly recentley and there's plenty left on both, the hose is also ok so i'm assuming its a bit seized, its a slighly tricky thing to sort out as i'm not going to be sure its fixed until i get it re-tested as its strong enough when you're grabbing hold of the wheel and i've never noticed a problem driving it.