Car Swerve

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

quikjraw

Car Swerve

Post by quikjraw »

Citroen ZX D
I've just had my track-rod ends changed due to a definite problem with the RH side one (severe vibration and a clunking when moving steering wheel back and forth when stationary).
I had both track-rod ends done and all of the relevant angles set-up using the laser computer program. So I saw how accurate the settings were after he had done the job.
So far so good, but now when travelling at speed the car swerves to the left quite noticeably when I lift off the accelerator. When I put my foot down again it either straightens back-up or moves to the right it's difficult to tell exactly.
I also had a new tyre fitted to the right at the same as having the track-rod ends done.
Does anybody have any ideas what this may be? Could something have been damaged by the excessive vibration due to the failed track-rod end.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Rule of thumb for safety :
Always have equal tyres on same axle. This includes make, type, wear, and inflation.
Meaning : get a new tyre for the other side too.
ALWAYS - I repeat : ALWAYS put the best pair of tyres on the rear axle.
Then I suggest you get the front control arm bushes checked out.
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

there's hardly anything wrong with the left tyre should i put the two odd tyres on the back and put the two matched rear tyres on the front? Or just buy a new tyre for the front?
p20

Post by p20 »

I'll second what Ander said. For safety the better tyres should be fitted to the rear of the car.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Got little doubt that tyres will have some effect but that sounds severe enough to cause me to start looking for a mechanical fault.
As suggested by Anders I'd be checking the front end particularly the lower control arm bushes and if they check out, see how the rear arms are for movement.
Also if the car was steering OK prior to the repairs then you must suspect that perhaps not everything is Kosher with the job that was done; nothing left loose??
Alan S
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

thanks for the advice, I'll test the tyre theory by putting the two matched tyres from the rear on the front and at the same time make sure that nothing's loose. Then go from there.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Whoa; just thought of something!!
Has this car got directional tyres on it and if so are they rotating in the right direction?
Struck this one on a Korean throwaway a couple of years ago; car went in for service at dealer. Book says "rotate tyres" so donkey grease monkey did them diagonally....... WooooHOooo wasn't that a fun ride, but after almost 3 weeks they had run out of things to check and in desperation the owner got me to look at it.....how embarrassing for the dealer, having a French car owner tell him how to fix his crappy throwaways (after all the things he'd said about them) .........I loved it!![:D][8D]
Alan S
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

That's a point alans, i will check tomorrow, but i would have thought that this would have presented itself even before changing my tyre unless of course they have put a directional tyre on the wrong way!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Exactly; what I'm thinking, is that they may have pulled off say both front wheels, stood against a bench, just walked over and grabbed a wheel, fitted it then the other and inadvertently swapped sides or as I have seen wheel aligners do, swap wheels prior to alignment.
Got to be worth a look.
Alan S
quikjraw

Post by quikjraw »

Just to close this out. I checked both front tyres to see if they were both rotating in the right direction and they were. The patterns are completely different on them so this can't be good.
I also noticed that the new tyre had lower pressure than when first inflated so I put it back upto 32psi.
This has made a great deal of difference but the phenomenon is still there to an extent which leads me to believe I need matched tyres as suggested.
I am fairly confident that this will then sort it completely out.
Thanks for your help, who'd have thought that perfectly decent but unmatched tyres could result in such an effect, I have underestimated the complexities of tyre tread patterns and their dynamic effects.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Find out what this thing does under heavy braking on a quiet road, could be even more dangerous than you may be aware if it pulls violently to one side on the brakes.
Dave