Unloved C5?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Unloved C5?

Post by np »

You see a few BX`s,& 1000`s of Xantias on the roads,but hardly any C5`s.Why???
My thoughts,
about 12 computers in the car,(diy point of view)
well documented problems,
really a bigger class of car than 406`s,Mondys etc.
But,loads of discounts from Citroen,
lose a load of money fast,but good for 2nd hand buyers.
Anybody any thoughts...[:)]
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

to be honest around london i think i see more C5's than i do BX's......... i imagine in about ten years time i will be driving a c5
dillosk8ter
My Cars:

Post by dillosk8ter »

Just after the C5 was launched over here I ordered a brochure as parents were thinking of changing car (got Volvo S40)......a few months later we had a phone call from Citroen UK asking why we hadn't expressed any further interest in it...there was a brief questionnaire and they asked if they could ring back for a longer one and that if we participated we'd get Marks and Sparks vouchers (£25 I think it was). Questions we along lines of 'What car did you buy?' 'Why did C5 interest you?' 'Why did you decide against it?'. I took this to mean that, at least to begin with, they were having trouble shifting them.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I`ve seen 6 BX`s this week,loads of Xantia`s,& 1 C5 today.I really like the C5 estate,even better now that they`ve restyled it.But myself,i am put off buy the complexity of it.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

It' the age old problem and the answer's quite simple. You don't see many because they've all got that bl**dy 'CITROEN' badge on the front. You ask anybody about a good rep's or load lugging car and you nearly always get "BMW, MERC" back as an answer. It was the same with the XM. Top car but some question on reliability in France and that was it, down hill all the way. Personaly I've looked at both old and new C5's and for a family car with a bit of space it's OK and I would concider buying one. But then again I'm a Citoren owner /driver and know better. [:D]
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

The pre face lift C5 was simply boring.. It looked like a slug on wheels, the black seals stood out like a sore thumb and it looked un balanced. The facelift model has changed most of the problems!
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

On the upside, the MKI C5 will be cheap to buy, cheap to run and comfortable too.
There isn't really anything in there ground breaking that hasn't been seen elsewhere on another Citroen, so I can't see their complexity being problematic.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

private buyers aren't buying large saloons anymore, smaller cars, MPVs or more niche cars instead. The depreciation doesn't help the cause either! So it is only fleet buyers who buy this size saloon in any large numbers.
oh, and it is an ugly barge of a car!!
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

C5 estate is the only model of the current Citroen range (most of which I actually dislike in both layout and looks) that I'd like enough to buy when need to eventually replace the Xantia estate.... otherwise, a Skoda Octavia estate would seem to be top contender.
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

i love the C5 but one of the reasons I bought a phase II 406 instead was the C5s odd looks. The new C5 looks much sharper and the forthcoming C6 looks right tasty.
yangreen

Post by yangreen »

I have to agree that the C5 does little to excite which is not the way big Citroen's usually are - dating back to 1935 at least! The Xantia had lovely clean lines which, while not exciting were at least pleasing. The C5 just looks a little clumsy. The front looks too heavy and the back end is just awful. I'll admit that it does now look a little better post facelift but it is a little frustrating when they get it wrong! Look at the Xsara Picasso. Hardly exciting but they've had to do bugger all to it until replacement time!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The "new C5" is much better style wise.Had a look on Ebay,a few really cheap C5`s.
Forth,i too like the Octavia estate,but a little bit on the light side for pulling our caravan.
My next car will be a Pug 406,HDI 110 est.My dad`s company car.His last 406 HDI 90 est sold to his friend for £1700 under book price,with 89k on it.Will buy his new one in 18mths time.