Need a welder ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wotsupnow
My Cars:

Need a welder ?

Post by wotsupnow »

I can recommend Station St Cars in Ashton-under-lyne.
My exhaust ( 1.9td Xantia ) had a gaping hole where the downpipe turns and enters the cat. As the MOT was due I got a few qoutes, £400 from National Tyres ! for front section, £250 at Carcraft Rochdale, £160ish from GSF but they had two in Birmingham and needed a day to get it to Manchester, then I noticed this guys advert, he mig welded it for £20 and three hours later I was clutching a new mot certificate.
BTW the emisions test said 3% was the pass limit, on 2nd attempt it measured 2.04%, not bad for 103,000 miles then ............
Pete
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

My pipe was going at the same point, and it eventually broke. The metal was too thin to contemplate any welding, welding is ONLY EVER a temporary repair on an exhaust, once its to the point that it has rotted through at one point the rest of the pipe is never far behind. Mine had pin holes at the two bends which I got my Dad to have a go at welding, with the mig on its lowest setting he made holes.
The front section of the exhaust on mine was replaced with a non-cat pipe. Cost was £30ish plus a couple of hours for me to fit it.
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

He hacked away at it quite heavily with a metal scraper and gave it a good wire brushing, the metal around the hole is still good, in fasct only the cat had any visible rust, the rest was still a silvery colour. I wonder if it's because we park the car on our drive facing downhill towards the road. Any water produced by the cat would collect at that point and rust from the inside out. My wife uses the car and does about 3miles/day so it never gets properly warmed up either.
Pete
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

It would be collecting there sure enough.... the old G series had a big transverse mounted, rubber-hung silencer at the rear of the exhaust system, and that could get a horrible lot of water.