BX cold start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Neil Pye
My Cars:

BX cold start

Post by Neil Pye »

On cold start up, the engine idles slow and picks up to 'normal' after a couple of seconds. The wax stat is working ok so I'm thinking it could be the timing device. Its a Bosch so it's the one connected to the cooling system. Does anyone know how to test it, how much travel there should be from cold to hot and how to set it up correctly? I used to have Lucas but it failed so swapped it for Bosch but I don't know the history of the donor car. The thermostat housing was all rust coloured so don't think the cars has been maintained all that well so maybe the timing device has siezed up???
Also got a hum from front n/s wheel which I assumed was wheel bearing but there's no wobble/knock when testing at the wheel. Also have a knock going over bumps and a dull knock/jolt when braking in reverse. Have replaced the anti roll bar link twice without success. I know there is more than 1 problem here but any pointers??
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">a dull knock/jolt when braking in reverse<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
This is quite normal: it most likely means that the brake pads have been fitted correctly!
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">I used to have Lucas but it failed so swapped it for Bosch]<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
How much of the fuel injection system did you swap over apart from the pumps? Injectors are different (Bosch with Bosch, Lucas with Lucas), and pumps/injectors vary depending on the engine capacity and whether it's turbocharged. What is the model/year of BX and what was the model/year of the donor?
Neil Pye
My Cars:

Post by Neil Pye »

It's a 17TGD Turbo 1990. Not sure of the donor vehicle age but it is Turbo pump. Have swapped complete pump, fuel supply pipes & injectors are New Bosch from GSF.