Lambda sensor ?....

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XMplory
My Cars:

Lambda sensor ?....

Post by XMplory »

Does my car (XM 2.0 i 92) have a lambda sensor ?
Also am i right in prosuming that if the car has no cat = no lambda sensor ?
Anyone used one of those cheap fault code readers (just found one on the net for £12 for my XM and other Cits/Pugs) ? Did it diagnose the fault for you ? or was it useless ?
Can you not just do the old 'paper clip' trick to short the correct pins on the diag socket to get the fault code, afterall these cheap readers are just a switch are'nt they ?
Sorry for all the questions !
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

To see whether your car has a Lambda sensor follow the exhaust from the manifold along the downpipe to the first joint. If a Lambda sensor is fitted it is always on the downpipe, you are looking for a wire attached to a long tall connector.
As far as a cheap code reader is concerned, yes they are no more than a 'gloryfied' paper clip with an LED.
Whether it traces the fault however depends on what the nature of that fault is.
If you have the facility to do a code read then its got to be a good starting point.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I dont think your '92 XM would have neither a cat nor a Lambda sensor.
The only purpose of the Lambda sensor is to keep the cat alive - i.e. correct the engine fuel mixture if it gets too rich with much unburnt fuel.
Richard has told you where to look for it.
It looks mostly like a sparkplug screwed into the exhaust.
If you have a cat - you also have the Lambda sensor.
The cat would be a muffler/damper box looking device under the car.
XMplory
My Cars:

Post by XMplory »

Thanks guys.
I'm quite sure my car has no cat just a standard looking box where the cat would be.
Also today i have disconnected the battery and fitted a new CTS..........Unfortunately the engine management light came on again shortly after driving it.:(:(:(
I think i'm gonna order one of those fault code readers i found.