Leaky Matrixes or is it Matrii' ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Leaky Matrixes or is it Matrii' ?

Post by alan s »

I was recently involved in a retro fit of an air/con system on a BX16V. In the process of cleaning and checking before reassembly, my son was scrubbing and carefully inspecting the heater matrix when I heard the two words that strike fear into the heart of everyone doing a DIY job for the first time and have someone doing another part of the job...."Oh; ****!!" When I spun around to see what it was, there he was with the main part of the matrix in one hand and.......the end of it in the other....I repeated the magic words...."Oh; **** alright!!"
Upon closer inspection it seems that the end plate of the matrix is held on by pressure in the form of the way it fits into the case and is sealed by each of the pipes on the matrix having its own "O" ring. We checked it over, ran a light coat of black silicone sealant over it (the gasket acid/water/oil resistent stuff) refitted the end and tested. Spot on; so I was wondering. When owners have replaced ther heater matrix in the past, have they ever had a close look at the actual thing itself to identify it was leaking or was the leak coming from one or more of the many "O" rings on the tubes where they fit into the end plate.
The reason I'm curious is that this car is a 1988 model, an ex UK car and the matrix was almost as new apart from a bit of shrinkage in these "O" rings.
Alan S
Alan S
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Matrices[^]
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Yes,
I replaced one which was only leaking at the ends, but it was less hassle to get a replacement from the breaker than to try and repair it and possibly have it leak again when fitted!
JohnW
My Cars:

Post by JohnW »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

Matrices[^]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That's it. Matrices.
JohnW
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

Well, I think I've still got a BX matrix sitting in the back of the car which WAS leaking. I could check that out (it's from a 1991 UK model). Before that, I did once dismantle a 1987 model, including heater assembly and matrix, to discover something similar to what you describe, Alan.
However, when that matrix split into two parts on that occasion, it was because the feed and return junctions had completely corroded away.
batwad
My Cars:

Post by batwad »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

Matrices[^]
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">The OED also lists "matrixes" as an acceptable plural [^]