xantia overheating

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

timmsd

xantia overheating

Post by timmsd »

My Xantia is behaving strangely and I'm at a bit of a loss. ANy ideas?
Symptoms:
Run below 3000rpm it runs at 80 degrees. Increase the revs above 3500 and it rises steadily to approaching 100 degrees and eventually warning light comes on. Higher revs faster temp rises. Drop revs and temp comes down within few minutes.
My thoughts are: blocked rad, hose collapsing at high revs (but how to prove and which one?), or faulty temp sensor (don't think its this)
Anybody else seen this kind of thing.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Check simple things : coolant level.
Check that the rad fans are coming on !
Within a few minutes from cold, an idling engine should reach normal working temperature, and then the fan(s) should come on-off at lo speed to maintain the correct working temperature.
If the fans instead comes on-off at high speed you have a faulty rad thermoswitch allowing the engine to run too hot.
If the fans does not come on at all - you should check the fan fuse, then the wiring and relay(s).
If you have aircon be sure to turn this OFF during testing.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Are you talking about revs when stationary or while being driven. If its being driven the fans can be disregarded over about 30 MPH as the draught from the airflow will exceed anything the fans can provide.
Radiators on Citroens are crossflow with tanks each end. When they block the bottom tubes block first so if you feel the radiator with the engine hot you may notice that the bottom is cold. If so you may be able to clear it by taking the rad out and flushing it.
Collapsing hoses can happen - remove the pressure cap and squeese any likely looking ones - if they are very soft they might collapse. the favorite one is the long hose from the bottom of the radiator to the water pump at the back of the engine.
Jeremy
timmsd

Post by timmsd »

It heats up at speed. Basically go over 75 and the temp rises. Drop a gear and slow down and the same thing happens as the revs go above 3250 ish.
Could it be a blocked rad? I did flush it about 10k miles ago when it was removed to fit another engine. It was clean then.
I kind of suspect a collapsing pipe and I had thought of the long bottom hose as the most likely culprit. Just seems a long shot.
Rad flush and check the pipe. I'll let you know the result in a week or two when I get time to do it, 'till then I'll have to stay within the motorway speed limit
macs

Post by macs »

Just a thought! My son's Fiat Punto exhibited the same symptons; the reason? a buildup of mud and debris at the bottom half of the radiator because he had driven slowly through a flooded street and plastic, mud and other debris had lodged there. Worth a look!
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

Sounds like a head gasket to me. The pressure of higher revs makes the gasket leak. Hope I am wrong!