Wham Bam Damn that Van

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MW
My Cars:

Wham Bam Damn that Van

Post by MW »

This morning a big white Transit van did an ill-advised U-turn into my path, and he rammed me sideways in the offside front wing. I'd spotted him just in the nick of time and I'd almost completely stopped, but he still hit me hard enough sent me three feet sideways toward the kerb. I have the photies of my skid marks to prove it, and very dramatic they are too.
So.......new wing, new bumper, new wheel, and unknown misfortunes in the steering and suspension department. All this on an N-reg Xantia with 105,000 trouble-free (and prang-free) miles on it. I've had it since new, and it's a good'un.
Damn, damn, damn, the worst of all worlds. Car is worth maybe £500, repairs will probably top £800. What are my options if the insurance company decides on a write-off? Take the payout and buy it back?
Cheers
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Unless its terminally U shaped its probably worth buying back, did it drive home?
Stewart
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Sort of, once I'd got my local garage to swap the bent wheel for my slimline spare. But it's still pretty skittery, which isn't surprising because the tracking must be completely to cock. I'm not proposing to drive it anywhere more than short distances till I've had the steering, bearings and suspension fully checked out.
What sort of insurance payout can I expect on a car like this? Can I haggle?
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Remember Insurance co is oblige to put you in the position you would have been but for the accident. This means that you are entitled to end up with a Xantia to the original spec - not one that will be scruffy after you've rebuilt parts of it.
So - try finding one as good as yours for £500 - are you going to be able to do it? If they tell you you can - ask them to find a car and look - and so on.
jeremy
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Book price is about £500. You might be able to convince them to give you a bit more of you can show it's been looked after, you were planning on keeping it etc etc etc. Always reject their first 2 offers anyway! Plenty of good Xantias around for not all that much money - I got a 97R TD VSX for £1200 on ebay....needs a few little jobs though.
Cars are not designed to absorb side impacts very well, and it's likely that the whole front will be askew, and it's unlikely it will ever feel right again, sadly.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

the 'few little jobs' are exactly what I'm talking about. The value of your car is not what you can get from ebay but what you can get from a reputable dealer which gives you some re-assurance that its sound. You are of course entitled to take the money and spend it on whatever (or whoever for that matter) you wish.
jeremy
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

Thanks for all the help, guys. Insurance claim now in progress. I'll let you know how it goes.