Doseur valve return?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

JohnG
My Cars:

Doseur valve return?

Post by JohnG »

Left a pool of LHM on the works car park today[:I][:I].Topped up and came home to have a look.Seems to be leaking from the short rubber piece that has a plastic pipe attached to it(LHM return?).Anybody else had one of these go,and is it as "straightforward" as it seems to be to change?.Or are there some hidden Gallic pitfalls in there somewhere?.Any help much appreciated.
Cheers , John.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

What car - and where is this doseur valve located ?
JohnG
My Cars:

Post by JohnG »

Sorry for the omissions-car is 1995 Xantia TD.What I took to be the doseur valve(you've got me wooried now) is located on the bulkhead in the engine compartment right about in line with the brake pedal,and has four HP unions plus this black plastic pipe that appears to be a snug push-fit into a rubber pipe similarly fitted onto the "valve".Feeling about,I can feel a roughness in one part of the rubber,which may be a slight perishing?.I hope that this is a clearer description.
Thank you, John.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

OK John [:)]
I was unsure if you in fact meant the PR on a BX [:I]
I believe your biggest problem is access to the trouble area. You can use a piece of suitable size petrol line for repair - as LHM is mineral oil based like engine oil.
Likely on a 10y old car the rubber will be perished or brittle here & there. Take it as it shows up.
JohnG
My Cars:

Post by JohnG »

Manger Tak,Anders.The big concern was that(to me,at least),nothing on a Cit. can be taken at face value.Is this pipe a return,or a feed? Not that it makes much difference at my level of knowledge,but I try!
Many thanks John.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its a return pipe,to send LHM back to the reservoir, and don't worry- its low pressure, and a push-fit. The thin metal ones are the (very) high pressure ones.
JohnG
My Cars:

Post by JohnG »

Thank you for that info,Mr bxb.Fixed it at work today- used some of that clear plastic pipe with the "string" inside.Checked after getting home; dry as a bone so happy Xantia and happy John G.(until the next time!).BTW,phoned main dealer 'cos I had to get some LHM quickly (they're only about half a mile from work) and asked him to get me the pipe as well-like,go into w/shop and cut a couple of ins. off the roll."Sorry,Sir ,we'll have to order that --£2-98 plus VAT. What can I say???
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

That's why I keep my old Octopii off the BX's...just incase I need a little bit of return hose! There's normally a good bit left on there somewhere. Want some?
flip.howard@gmail.com