Yet another Xantia Suspension Problem [:(]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Yet another Xantia Suspension Problem [:(]

Post by martyhopkirk »

Had spheres (all 6) replaced by Westroen some months back allong with LHM change, but not convinced they (spheres) are right for the HDi.
Ride is ok, though have ridden in better - that isnt the issue its the "sinking" of the car overnight - sometimes quicker (ala BX to the deck) and the fact that the first rise of the day (about 20 seconds or so) if the brakes are applied and left on (foot brake) the back end drops down double quick and takes another 10 seconds to raise again - after this it seems ok.
My thought are the accumilator and rear anti sink spheres are incorrect for the car / duff. The car is loosing no LHM. The only ID marks i can see are W 01 04 - presumably Westys recon date.
I would value anyone elses opinions on this and suggestions for suitable spheres to replace with.
The ride height is ok, the plastic clips are still on the correctors and the car sinks / raises according to load conditions appropriately. Brakes and steering appear fine too.
Its a 2000 (Jan) Hdi 90bhp variant.
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

The symptoms you are describing sound like the method for testing the rear brake circuit on a BX, in which case there may be no problem, were they recon spheres or your old ones recharged?
Stewart
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Recon (regassed) spheres - but not the original ones regassed, but replacement ones.
The Xantia is supposed to have anti sink, but mine does not function the car drops like a stone when switched off. Its this buisness with the rear end dropping after its risen once which bothers me, it never used to do that.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think the anti-sink valve is responsible for stopping the rear of the car dropping and the anti-sink sphere is simply to maintain pressure when the valve opens and prevent brake problems and the sudden dropping of the car.
From what you are saying I think the valve itself is not operating properly. Loose connection? Dirt in it? We don't seem to get any complaints on here of the valve itself failing.
jeremy
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Did wonder about the valve - gave it a thorough clean & squirt with Castrol Chain Wax - still doing it im afraid.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Did wonder about the valve - gave it a thorough clean & squirt with Castrol Chain Wax - still doing it im afraid.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Errrhh ..
The antisink valve has no external moving parts [8)]
It's a small squarish unit - 5 small (3.5mm) steel pipes connected.
alexx
My Cars:

Post by alexx »

Even with anti-sink malfunction, car shouldn't drop like a stone when the engine is switched off. Anything less than 15 minutes to bump stops indicates severe internal leak in the rear suspension cylinders, height corrector or doseur valve
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

True Alex - if it were a BX we'd say rear struts (almost unheard of as a problem even at megamileage), doseur (often unfairly blamed and replaced with no real improvement) or height corrector which usually only suffers from siezure of the linkage.
The other factors affecting a BX would be accumulator or air in the system, the likely source of which is the reservoir/pump hose.
If the LHM is carrying air the metal to metal valves will tend to act as filters for the air as I think air will pass and LHM will not.
Have a look in the reservoir for milky green emulsion or bubbles - there must be masses of air to cause these problems! I suppose gas could be coming from a deflating sphere and your spheres were re-filled. Citroebics may make a difference.
jeremy
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Try giving the anti-sink valve a few sharp hammer taps. My Xantia used to sink quickly, but it's much better since I did this!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by AndersDK</i>

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

Errrhh ..
The antisink valve has no external moving parts [8)]
It's a small squarish unit - 5 small (3.5mm) steel pipes connected.
I <i>think </i>thats what i cleaned & covered with chain wax (waterproofs) Could not see any electrical connections though - was expecting a relay type device. Also cleaned the height correctors (smallish piston like units covered in gunk & muck).
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>
Have a look in the reservoir for milky green emulsion or bubbles - there must be masses of air to cause these problems! I suppose gas could be coming from a deflating sphere and your spheres were re-filled. Citroebics may make a difference.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep loads of air in the LHM tank.
Citaerobics makes some improvment, but does not last. Thinking of taking it to a Cit independant to have a look at.
wrinklet1
My Cars:

Post by wrinklet1 »

Try bleeding the brakes, I had to do this when I had my spheres done at Westroen, it did make a big difference, I did replace my own spheres about 14 months later with new ones from GSF, and an easy job to do too, (I don't have the anti-sink sphere though)
Paul
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

Sounds like gas in the LHM is the problem - so 2 sources - deflating spheres or reservoir-pump hose. This hose leaks inwards being a suction hose - so there won't be any leakage to the outside. As a first investtigation I would look at the ends especially if they have been removed recently and may not have seated well when replaces (or the ends have split etc) If they look good try replacing it with a bit of clean garden hose as a temporary mesaure and see if there is any improvement (thanks Anders!)
Bleeding the brakes may make a difference but since most of the gas should clear on Citroebics just leaving gas trapped in the brake lines and cylinders. This won't find its way back to the reservoir so if you are still getting gas there you still have the problem.
jeremy
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

From normal ride height with engine running, dump accumulator pressure by turning 12mm bolt head on regulator one turn, then set suspension to low, if the rear sinks, the rear antisink valve is shot, if it doesn't sink, suspect the antisink sphere.
Dave
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Thanks - will give it a try tomorow weather permitting.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Sounds like one of the spheres didn't survive the recharging procedure. They come with a 3 year warranty (or mine did...), so give them a call. Apparently, if they're going to die, they do pretty quickly (from what Doug was telling me).