Same injectors on XUD9 and XUD9TF?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Same injectors on XUD9 and XUD9TF?

Post by Wookey »

I know the injectors have to match the pump type (bosch/lucas), but do they also change between NA and TD engines/pumps? I have a set of injectors from my old NA engine and it would be convenient to get them serviced and put in the new engine at my leisure, but I'm not sure if they are the same? Or I could take the new ones out and get them done, then I'm sure everything matches up.
Obviously the pumps are not the same, on these two engines. Do I need to post pump pics in order for people to answer this question?
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Actually that title is wrong. The two flavours I have are XUD9A and XUD9TE, in case it matters. I still getting my head round all these designations of slightly different engines.
Jon

Post by Jon »

According to the Bosch catalogue, the n/a injectors have completely different part numbers to the TD ones.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

The NA injectors are definately different.
Different opening pressures, different nozzle spray pattern etc.
You could probably swap them over but best case your engine would run like a bag of spanners, the timing would be out, it might not run at all or it could do damage to itself.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

OK- thanx for that guys. Saved me wasting 80 quid. I'll get the others out and service them then.
The different injection pressure probably doesn't matter - just tell the servicing guys which engine they are destined for and they can change the shims (assuming it is still with the acceptable range for the injector), but a different nozzle obviously is an issue. I'm surprised the nozzle pattern changes - I don't think the swirl chamber design is any different on the TD?
Where do I get a catalogue/cross reference of the bosch injection products - that would be useful?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Most service centres like Lucas will do them next day anyway so maybe not worth the hastle.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

Hmm, I've taken out the injectors now and had a look at the numbers. Both the NA and the TD injectors say KCA17S42 on the side but the NA ones say 130bar, the TD ones 175 bar. So I think that means same nozzle pattern, but different pressures - right? Interestingly these injectors came out really easily, whilst the NA ones were epic to get out, especially the one on the swirl chamber that cracked - overheating, perhaps?
There don't seem to be any fire washers in the bottom of the holes - is it just that they are difficult to get out? (the engine is back in now and visibility isn't very good). And should I be able/try to remove the 'seat' in the bottom of the holeon which both the washers sit?
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

I would have thought that the main body of the injector would be the same but just the shims, springs, needles and nozzles etc would be different.
The nozzles need to be different because the TD injectors need to inject more fuel than NA ones do.
Wookey
(Donor 2019)

Post by Wookey »

yes - it turns out that number just refers to the body, so looks like you are right. Our local injection service place (a marvellous throwback to the 1950s) found that one of my injectors was very poorly, so I've had that exchanged. The others were OK, although one had the end 'blued' - so it had obviously got very hot at some point - and clues why that might be?
Hopefully the poorly injector explains the nasty clattery noise on my 'new' engine. I'll test it tomorrow.