XM problems...(UPDATE)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

XMplory
My Cars:

XM problems...(UPDATE)

Post by XMplory »

I did a few more checks today and firstly took out a couple of spark plugs and suprise-suprise.. they were black as the ace of spades !, i'm amazed it starts at all like that, also where i had left the car idling it had left a patch of soot like a diesel would ![:0]
Next after contacting a very friendly guy at the XMcentre i was informed as to the whereabouts of the coolant temp sensor. The sensor on my car is to be found on the back of the cylinder head near the exhaust manifold (gearbox end). There are three senders/sensors here, one for the temp gauge (blue connector?) , one is ? , and just as i thought i'd found it theres another one hiding below the first two ! and i think that this is the fella i have been looking for with the green connector !
Does anyone know what the other one is for (brown connector) ?
IS<u></u> the one with the blue connector the temp gauge? (one wire i think?)
Upon removing the connectors for all these sensors i could find nothing wrong with the wiring and no corrosion however the Green connector was a bit hard to remove but was only slightly dry. So i put some WD40 on all the connectors and plugged and unplugged them several times .
I had the battery disconnected while doing all of the above to 'clear' the ecu but unfortunately it has made no difference and the engine management light still comes on after driving the car for a while. So it looks like i will have to remove the sensor.
How would i test this temp sensor once i have removed it ?
Would a deep socket be favourite for removing the sensor ? as theres not much room and you cannot see it (i had to 'feel around' to find it!)
I will replace those fuel pipes tommorrow and probably order a new sensor from Citroen (quoted £14 inc vat).
Oh i forgot to mention.... I have been under the car and it has no cat and so i gather no lambda sensor ! (one less thing to fix then, thankfully !)[:D]