Desperate 406 1800 16v idle & running problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jjandrj6679
My Cars:

Desperate 406 1800 16v idle & running problems

Post by jjandrj6679 »

Hi all, I hope that someone can help me, Ive had this car for about a month, to cut a long stoty short there is no warrenty with it so Im on my own. Its a bit long winded but ive been working on this car for 6 days and have not been able to work because of it, so im going broke. Below is the steps I took to sort it out as best as i can.
Im a cabby and this is my taxi, I support my diabled partner so money is tight. All parts so far have been sorced from a breaker, I took the parts off several differant cars myself and also took duplicates and some that were just simular for testing. All part numbers matched and came from newer cars.
As I have read in other posts I have a simular problem, but Im confused, explained later.
When this problem first appeared it would die if I dipped the clutch, or was just stationary, no idle at all.
Searched the internet and came up with the with the "Throttle Potentiometer" as the prime suspect, so I changed it, problem no 1 solved. (So i thought).
I have changed the "MAP Sensor" too with a mint one fom a completly shiny newish car that was scrapped, it was very clean inside too the "MAP Sensor"not the car).
This leads me onto the other problem revving at 3000 rpm, Pulsating +/- 450 rpm, & when comming off the accelerator the idle takes forever to drop, doing it stages, 3000, 2200, 1800, 1500 and so on. It will idle for a while then climb to 3000 again & pulsate ??? ..
I have tryed all sorts of "Stepper Motors", some work, but then soon after its back again. Ive cleaned them loads of times and fitted differant plungers to differant bodies.
I have also completly stipped, cleaned and rebuilt the "Thottle Body".
I've initialized the "Stepper Motor" (Ign on for 10 sec, then off for 10 sec, then on for 10 sec and then start it. I repeted it twice for good measure).
I reset the ECU (Disconnect the battery, remove the ECU connector for at least a minute) each and every time but nothing.
I even read that if you just unplug the "Stepper Motor", it will idle as normal and the ECU will assume default values. Running as near to perfect as it can get.
So this is where Im confused.
At the time I did this, the car was stationary and the revs pulsating around 3000rpm. I switched her off and unplugged the "Stepper Motor". I did not itialize it though so the ECU would hopfully thow up a code or two.
I started the engine and it went strait back to 3000 RPM and pulsated.... AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH ??!!!?£>>%^%^W>"$!!
I then gave up and bashed my head on the steering wheel in the vein hope that I would die there and then and at least my probems would be solved.
Im confuse as to how the idle is being controled as I thought that the "Stepper Motor" regulated the airflow for the idle speed and the rate of de-acceleration, if its not connected it will stay in one position and the revs should be stable.
So if it isnt the "Stepper Motor" the what else can regulate the revs like that....?????? Ive heard mentions of the coil packs going but how do they make the revs pulse like that?
See where Im confused??, I remember days of points and condesers, please someone bring them back....
Also What I would like to know (If possible) is the default values (Ohms/volts), what pins to test on theses items ip possible?
"Stepper Motor",
"Throttle Potentiometer",
"Water Temp Sender" and which one is it? (Ive got 2 Blue & 1 Green),
"Air temperature Sender".
Peugoet did let me know that they could read the "Fault Codes" for me....... What bloody fault codes there arn't any.... I just laughed....
Seriously though I would realy appreciate some major help with this as I am out of ideas and running out ouf cash fast, and so is my sence of humour.
So this is the end, Im stuck with a car that won't behave itself an no income ...humm.... Some one put me out of my misery....Please
Yours Josh
PS The "Temperature Guage" says its on 105 C and thats when the Radiator fan kicks in... Connected in any way?
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Have you played about with the throttle cable? Have you put the cable clip back in the right slot?
To reset the STEPPER MOTOR correctly you should do this.
After plugging the Stepper motor back in, Turn the ignition on but DONT start the engine.
Fully press the throttle pedal down & release it, Watch the yellow diagnostic lamp flash once, Do this a second time.
Now start the engine.
The engine WILL run rough & the idle will be upset for the first 15 or so miles, Just drive the car to block learn the ECU.
jjandrj6679
My Cars:

Post by jjandrj6679 »

Hi there, Thanks for wading you way thru all my troubles and thanks for answering it too.
I am now going to try what you say to do and hopfully all my dreams will come true......
thanks again
Josh
jjandrj6679
My Cars:

Post by jjandrj6679 »

Hi all again.
Im comming to the conclusion that everytime an injection/ignition item is changed an "INITIALZATION" procedure has to be adheared to. so to that effect does anyone know how to initialze this item: Throttle Potentiometer.
I did read it some where here but I can not find it...
I appriciat all the help and thank god for the internet.....
Yours
Josh
jjandrj6679
My Cars:

Post by jjandrj6679 »

Hi there again. Well I was at the scrappies today..again...and picked up another stepper motor. From a xantia 94, I know its not identical with respect to the Ram shape but I had calculated that where it actually rests in the closed position was near the same as the 406.
I cleaned it with carb cleaner and lubed it with WD40 and popped it in.
I followed your instuctions to the letter, I did not get a blinking light, it just stayed lit?? So I started the car .
It revved to 1500 and sat there, bobbed a bit but slowly came down to 850 after she was warm and the fan kicked it, which is 105C??? on my guage. I blipped the throttle and it stayed at 2000 then bobbed and slowly dropped to 850.
Off for the test run. It was realy brisk like Ive never known.idled around 1000 for a while durning the 30 mile round trip, i managed to stall her, I forgot I was in gear at the lights ??? other than that she fuctuated around 1000 > 850 on idle. She started to go to 2000, then dropped by 500 increments till 850, I assumed she was playing with herself. I mean testing. When we got home she revved to just under 3000 and then slowly settled. Out for a nother spen and she was good as gold.
The speed of the revs de-accellerating has improved but still not quite what I would expect, but its still miles better to change gear with.
I will take it to work tomorrow night and let you know what it does, it will have done a couple of hundred miles by then.
Sorry it is so detailed, but after reading so many simular stories (And not realy gleaning any sence, just confusion) I decided to do it this way as to help others who read this.
I thank you for lifting my spirits again, now I can earn cash I can replace these items with new ones.
Thanks PowerLee your a star.
Yours
Josh