Help please!! 106 GTi Clutch and gearbox problems

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Pork Pie
My Cars:

Help please!! 106 GTi Clutch and gearbox problems

Post by Pork Pie »

Hi
I own a 1999 106 GTi 1.6 16v. i've owned for a couple months now BUT i've developed a transmisson proplem were i can't shift down to 1st gear when the car is moving even under 5mph i have to stop, then the gear will select easy as pie, 2nd is nottchy and hard to select like 1st but will go with a hard tug. and the first 3 gears crunch when shifing up, that is with the clucth pedel to the foor as far as it will go.i've taken it to a local garage and was told it was just a peugoet thing & most of them are like it as the linkage is stiff due to being baddly designed, & this was improved on the later models. Today the car judder when pulling away but only once and was fine for the whole time in heavy traffic, but repeatedly judder when tring to reverse in to a park bay. the car will still accerate quicky up a 1 in 2 hill in 5th.
dose anyone have any ideas on what is coursing my problem. it has only done 55000 miles. would changing the clutch solve the problem or is the gearbox going becouse the past owners may have ragged it.
Thank you
Pork Pie
mg46783
My Cars:

Post by mg46783 »

I would suggest a clutch replacement... cheapest first. But I think that may cure your problem...Mike
Pork Pie
My Cars:

Post by Pork Pie »

Hi i'm get the clutch looked at tomorrow, i did have looked at a couple weeks a go when it first started, but again i was told "well thats is Peugeots for ya" which is why i'm, i talked other GTi owner and they don't have this problem.
would low gearbox oil course this sort of problem, i did have a drive shaft replaced befor chrismas, and maybe they didn't put in the right amount of oil in ? donno why i didn't think of that.
thanks
Pork Pie