keyfob central locking problems

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Peyote

keyfob central locking problems

Post by Peyote »

Hi,
I have a 2000 Xantia HDI 2.0. Recently my keyfob central locking "lock" button went dodgy (suspected batteries were going flat), but the other day the "lock" button broke. I couldn't feel the button clicking under the rubber bit so I took it apart. The switch had come off the circuit board, so i soldered it back on. Thing is it doesn't work anymore! not even the unlock button. My soldering is perfect (ive been doing it for years) and I didn't damage any components or anything silly.
I was wondering if the fobs have an anti-tamper thing where if you remove the circuit board from the case it damages it for some reason?
Anybody had any experience with these before?
PS I thought the battery had finally given up the ghost so I put a fresh one in, but still no joy so its not the batteries.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

No, that is likely to be the switch gone duff me ole cactus. If the plip is of the IR persuasion, try shining it into a digicam and look at the screen. If not, you'll probably need a bit of RF test equipment, A Marconi 2945 is about right, £6k used if you can find one. You might try shorting the switch and pulling the battery in and out to test, though.
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

I don't know if its IR of RF. Its the one where the key is buit into the fob and can be retracted like a pen knife. It has two buttons on the top, one for lock the other for unlock.
Thing is the same thing had happened to my spare (which i have not used as the lock button was broken when I bought the car). I took the PCB out and fixed it, but it does not work at all now.
I know this sounds quite sad, that I "Fixed" them both and now they both dont work :) but im 100% certain I didn't damage them in doing so.
I have read about people reprogramming them in the car, but these work with the IR version, is there a similar method for these new ones?
ta.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

IR version : an IR sender LED is obviously present.
Unless you have (or make up) an RF probe you can not test an RF sender unit.
Simply re-programming needed ?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

I have soldered the buttons back onto the RF type plip and I'm no expert at soldering so I doubt you broke it that way.
Probably just needs reprogramming.
XMplory
My Cars:

Post by XMplory »

I was reading here the other day that if yours is the IR type then you point it at the sensor in the roof and hold the lock button for 5 secs or so and its done ![8D]
however i think your is probably the RF type and therefore this method is not possible and you would have to take it to a Citroen dealer for reprog.[V]
Peyote

Post by Peyote »

Fixed it!!!
The keys are RF type. I took a chance and refered to the owners handbook, where it states that on replacement of batteries the keys may need to be reinitialized.
To do this you just have to turn the ignition on (all the way not just with the battery light on) and operate the keys buttons.
This worked, even with the spare.