Leaky C5 rear suspension strut

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hswift
My Cars:

Leaky C5 rear suspension strut

Post by hswift »

The offside rear suspension strut on my C5 estate has started to weep hydraulic fluid, I think it's getting past the end of the rubber gaiter. Is this likely to be a simple matter of tightening the clip at the end of the gaiter, or is it indicative of a burst seal in the suspension strut? I ask because I don't know if it all should be dry inside the gaiter or if they're full of oil as a matter of course.
Thanks,
H
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Does the gaiter have any low pressure return pipes attached? I believe on the older models a little fluid passing the seals was permissible, to the extent that a route back to the reservoir was provided, via plastic and rubber lines, you know when you have excessive leaking by the return lines being blown off due to excess flow, check your car and see if theres anything like this.
Stewart
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

I'm in line with Stewart on this.
Citroen's hydraulic components always have some bypass leak to keep them lubricated. This bypass leak is routed to the reservoir by low pressure plastic or rubber lines.
If such a line is detached a small amount of fluid will weep out.
hswift
My Cars:

Post by hswift »

You were spot on, guys: there are a couple of small-bore pipes attached to the gaiter, but I'm pretty sure they're intact and not leaking. It looks like I'll need to investigate tightening the gaiter clip and/or reseating the gaiter to stop the fluid getting past it.
H