Electric window "died"

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Big Bazza
My Cars:

Electric window "died"

Post by Big Bazza »

Help please. My beloved 1997 Xantia 2.0 16v VSX has started getting moodie at 90,000 mls. The r/h rear leccy window has gone on strike.Worked yesterday perfectly, went to put it down this morning, no action at all via either the drivers switch or the door switch. Any ideas PLEASE. All the other 3 are perfect. There are no whirrs or groans coming from within the door, so it doesnt sound mechanical. ANY help MUCH appreciated.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
BOTH switches need to be ok for the window to work correctly.
If one switch is faulty the window will have a sulk & refuse to work.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Lift up one (one !) of the 2 switches in question - then swap it over with the l/h switch.
Within a few days you have very easily located a faulty switch - if the problem moves with the switch.
Big Bazza
My Cars:

Post by Big Bazza »

Thanks for the help so far. Mystery deepens i'm afraid (VERY). Tested both the centre console switches, either of them will operate the l/h window, so I guess they both must be OK. Now the funny ?? bit. The actual switch in the r/h door causes a soft "donk" noise from within the door...but...the centre console switch doesn't do a thing.Are these clues for any of you clever types ?
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

If the problem is south of the console switch, it won't work the window. the soft "donk" is the noise of electrons going through in single file. THere appears to be a little power getting to the motor but 99% certain that a switch contact in the door is burned out. Swap for another door switch, having made sure that the window itself isn't physically jammed. Sometimes you may need to remove the door trim to loosen off all the mounting bolts slightly and then power up the motor from a battery to free it up but I'm fairly sure that as Anders says, it is a switch problem.
johnny
My Cars:

Post by johnny »

Had a rear electric window fail on my old 1.9TD SX Xantia about 12 months ago.
Electrical supply in the flexible between centre pillar and door had broken.
Johnny
Big Bazza
My Cars:

Post by Big Bazza »

Hi..Thanks for help so far. I have tried a new switch in both the console, and the door, no joy. What i have noticed is the interior lights dim slightly when trying the door switch, but not when trying console switch. Where is the relay situated, and does just one service both rear doors. Thanks for your help so far, If I can avoid stripping off the door trim I would like to, as I have bad memories of doing a lot of damage to my old Bx.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Big Bazza</i>
What i have noticed is the interior lights dim slightly when trying the door switch, but not when trying console switch.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
That means something (stuck or stalled motor, or s/c in wiring) is drawing a lot of current.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">
Removing door trim...I have bad memories of doing a lot of damage to my old Bx.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Oh? I use an old steel ruler wrapped with gaffer tape to remove door cards. Smearing Vaseline (ooohh) on pegs helps refitting.
Big Bazza
My Cars:

Post by Big Bazza »

Thanks for the help fellas. Turned out it was a broken pink wire in the rubber trunk twixt pillar and door.Got so enthusiastic...I even got the rear washer tubing cleared..Works for the first time in weeks. amazing what a bit of moral support does. THANKS.