Rough price guide.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Rough price guide.

Post by alan s »

Can someone tell me how much a kit for a F/D is and approximately how long to from go to woe to do the entire job?
(ie) Remove from car, strip, clean, fit kit, reassemble and refit.
I'm asking for someone else...............honestly.
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

About £18 GBP for the kit. I don't know timewise!
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

Thanks for that Jon.
Here is why I'm asking about it:
"This particular mechanic is quoting $150 for a seal kit and 5 hours labour."
One of the excuses he used was that he had to remove the radiator to get access. Well, as you know, that puts 5 minutes on the job so I was sus about the price of parts. What does a F/D consist of BTW?
Alan S
Jon

Post by Jon »

To be honest Alan, apart from the filters in the flow valve, I don't think there are any serviceable articles inside. There are also a couple of pistons I believe.
The kit really is "amazing value" for money! You get 8 LHM seals, 2 tiny filters,4 metal spring clips, 3 bigger rubber rings, 2 small rubber rings, erm, thats it!
Have a look here http://www.tramontana.co.hu/citroen/sus ... spens.html and scroll down to "rebuilding the flow distributor" for the complete story.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

It does, however give a great improvement to the steering, according to many people and as a whole FDV costs a bomb (And shipping one to Oz would add a weapon of mass destruction to that), it looks like a good idea.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Alan
Would have said about 4 hours in total.
Including tea breaks !!
Grill, rad, in and out. 30 mins
FDV removal, overhaul and refit. 2 hours
Coolant and LHM refill -- 1 hour.
Might be cheaper to send FDV to UK for overhaul.
Citroen price on new F/D, approx £360 ??
It's not another Aus rip-off repairers again ??
Peter
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Peter
I suspect this job is coming up soon for me. Do you know if anyone has written it up? The tramontana site is good but I'd like to cross-reference.
Best
Oscar
DLM
My Cars:

Post by DLM »

I know you don't have that many scrap BXs in Australia, or even resting BXs, but if you have access to a "known good" FDV from another BX, then I'd be tempted to swap it in as is, which gives plenty of time for a DIY overhaul of the offending article off-car.
That was the theory when I HAD to replace a leaking FDV, and the swapped-over fdv worked fine - despite being from a somewhat abused BX. As for the rebuild of the one that came out, I still haven't got round to it!