Intermittent loss of p/steering. BX tzd

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

mikeg
My Cars:

Intermittent loss of p/steering. BX tzd

Post by mikeg »

Had a call from my son saying that the steering on his BX was dodgy. The symptems were, no p/s when starting to turn in either direction, then it would kick in part way through the operation and drop out again and so on. Also first thing in the morning in would take an age to raise the rear end. The LHM was checked & he had tried to "bleed" the system by turning the s/wheel fully from left to right, engine running, hand brake on, but this made no difference
. So we arranged to meet half way at Salisbury in the Tesco car park. (he lives in Portsmouth, I in Chippenham) We swapped cars, Jamie in my trusty ZX Aura (thanks Jon) and I in the BX. I drove back back home very carefully pondering on what was causing the problem. Anyway, to cut a long story short, I gave P&R Motor Services at Tetbury a call, explained the problem. "Sounds like hyd pump up the spout was their" answer and they had low mileage recon one in their stores for £40.00. So I took the car over next day they loaned me a car for the day (foc), fitted the pump, cleaned the filters all for £79.90 inc vat. Not bad eh? The car now raises as it should and steers ok. What a difference a good pump makes.
I just thought that I would tell you about this in case others may have a similar problem
Jon

Post by Jon »

Hi Mike
Just picked up your email, I'll post you that cheque tomorrow.
I had exactly the same problem with my BX TZD, and the problem was worse during cold weather or when car was cold. I got a recon pump from CGS in Gloucester, fitted it, primed it up and its transformed the car, lovely light power steering at all times and the car is very quick to rise in the morning.
Nice to hear of good service again from P&R!
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

There have been a number of BX and early Xantia steering problems on here recently and if I'm correct none of them have been due to the flow diverter.
The problem with the flow diverter is that few people understand it really well which is why we can't find a really good description of its functions. As a consequence it is often blamed because it can't be eliminated.
I had FDV problems but after a weak pump was replaced the principal problem was that the warning light kept coming on while the steering worked perfectly.
Can we now say that (assuming pipes and filters are Ok) that slow rising and bad steering means pump problems, but one on its own doesn't?
Jeremy