Various niggles on my 205

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LNF

Various niggles on my 205

Post by LNF »

I've have had my k reg 1.1xr (tu non injection) 205 for about a month, and after replacing the gear box (on its first long trip it died :() I'm onto trying to iron the less important problems out.
I've had a quick search for these on the forum but if there is something I've missed then if you could link me to the relevant thread I'd be much obliged.
This has all happened since the new gear box was fitted.
Whenever I drain a lot (the heaters on their own do it, but lights plus brake lights plus indicating will also put it on dimly.) of power the battery charge light comes on, now obviously my first thought was the Alternator, but I had a friend check it (by measuring the voltage across the battery after ideling and then with the heaters \ lights on etc...) and the battery charge wasn't affected (and I've driven a good 600 miles since many at night so with the lights on and have had no problems with dim lights \ poor starting.) so I presume all is fine there.
I'd add this to a problem I've had with the occasional occurrence of the low coolent level warning light, which has occasionaly gone through periods of being on then off fora few seconds but has only happened three times in those 6800 miles.
Now the coolent level is hasn't dropped a bit, but what puzzeled me was there wasn't a single wire around the expansion tank, so where abouts is the coolent level measured? I'd presume its circulating as (touch wood) I've never had the oil temperature light on or anything of the sort.
The reason I'd group these two together is the few people I've talked to have all mentioned bad earths, in connection with the replaced gear box.
Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on this, I'm just somewhat paranoid about it being major, although if it was I'm sure she wouldn't have got me as far as she has.
Other then that she's been a joy to drive, I'm almost a convert from the blue oval.
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
If you follow the main earth wire from the battery, You should find the 2 connections at the other end.
One is to the body shell & the other is on top of the GEARBOX.
Its most likely a battery & battery tray out job to get at both of them, It is on the 405 & that has a larger engine bay.
Also the connection to the battery itself, Ive had a few problems with earth & even the +12 terminals coming lose / stretching & the only way to fix that was to chop the Peugeot connections off & attach a decent battery ring connection on both wires.
Also when checking the alternator output you should be looking for nothing more then 14.4 ish volts on the battery terminals when at idle & at least 13.5 volts ish on the battery terminals when under heavy load.
A low coolent level lamp, The sensor is normally screwed into the radiator a few inches from the top & has a small electrical connector plug attached.
Are you 100% sure its a level warning light coming on? Does it match up with what it shows in the handbook?
LNF

Post by LNF »

Cheers, its defiantly the coolant level warning light (I had to pull off the road and check in the hand book as I didn't recognise it)
Whilst doing a few other things (does anyone have any hints on removing the gear knob?) I removed the two earth leads and cleaned them then put them back. This didn't fix the problem but what I did notice was that the two other lights on the dash board that were on (choke and hand brake) got dimmer as the battery charge light came on. I don't know if thats significant?
Thanks for the quick reply.