petrol in diesel

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

b21playa

petrol in diesel

Post by b21playa »

ive heard that putting a bit of petrol in a diesel engine is good for it once in a while, only like 2 litres, in 20litres of diesel
is that right?
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Not for high presure fuel systems, e.g. HDI. But smaller amounts of petrol in older type engines like XUD wont do any harm. Petrol was used to prevent diesel waxing in cold weather before additives prevented it. You may even find it gives your engine a bit of a clean out.
b21playa

Post by b21playa »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

Not for high presure fuel systems, e.g. HDI. But smaller amounts of petrol in older type engines like XUD wont do any harm. Petrol was used to prevent diesel waxing in cold weather before additives prevented it. You may even find it gives your engine a bit of a clean out.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
nah i just got a DTand i stuck 2 litre of petrol in 24 litres of diesel this morning
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

It really wont make any difference. As said above, it used to be used in small quantities to prevent the diesel waxing in cold weather, but diesel fuel contains additives to prevent this nowadays, so its not needed. You'll probably notice your economy goes down slightly on this tank.
christi

Post by christi »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
christi

Post by christi »

Damn, I am missing the 504 diesel that I used to have now. It was a 2.3 with a 5 speed 505 transmission.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Petrol isn't kind to high presure injection systems like HDi too much too often and hefty bills may follow.